First Attempt at Making Scales for Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Attempt at Making Scales for Knife

This part II of the corn knife project. I just didn't think to take before photos but suffice to say they were completely rusted with old broken handles and I decided to restore them as best I could. I won't rehash the rust removal from part one. This is about the new scales. It took me 4 attempts on the first one to get any kind of decent design which I actually traced from the scales of a knife I have. I wasted some of my best boards because I wasn't smart enough to use some pine scraps instead of my stock. Lesson #1 is use scraps for your pattern if you're starting from scratch. I do not possess either a bandsaw or a drill press both of which would greatly simplify the process and produce better results. I didn't want to spend the money and I have a drill and a jig saw. As I progressed, however, it was abundantly evident that a little hand sander wasn't going to cut it so I did invest in a small benchtop belt disc combo sander. Well worth the money in my opinion. Both of the existing handles were not originals. It was obvious once they were removed from the blades. Here is how they looked after the rust removal and some light grinding to remove some of the surface pitting with the handles that came on them and how they look after being cold blued wearing their new scales. The wood is sycamore with a boiled linseed oil finish. I bought brass rods for the pins, but got creative for the lanyard ferrules. I used .223 cases and cut the off the necks and bases. I even used a chamfer tool to chamfer the inside of both ends after sanding. They both have edges now that won't quite cut paper cleanly but I'm not intending to try to shave with them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1030.JPG Views:	2 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	840647
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Here's a close up of both scales.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1031.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	840649

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

They look pretty good. The pits and black of the blades give them a certain character.
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Did you sort the brass first?

On a serious note, nice job, Ed. They look really good.
        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
        -Winston Churchill

Comment

Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

Very nice, like Desert...lots of fine character. An heirloom. good job.

Comment

I learned a few things along the way, mostly the hard way. Normally you would drill the holes in a single piece of wood and then split it into 2 halves on a bandsaw. I had to start with 2 halves and then drill the holes. Screwed the first one up when the holes didn't line up. I also didn't put the edge on the blade before I installed the scales. That's a mistake, put the edge on the blade first. I traced the outline on one side to sand the profile but somehow managed to glue that side on the inside to the blade on the second one so I just made the design up as I went. The longer blade was incredibly hard steel compared to the smaller one. I couldn't get a drill bit to cut through so I had to get the Dremel tool with a small grinding wheel and grind the hole out for the lanyard. I had never really worked with 2 part epoxy before and I had it everywhere on the first one. Transferred it from the knife to my bench, clamps, and a half dozen other things I touched while applying and clamping it. In the end I'm satisfied with the results, but no way I would try to do it on someone else's stuff. You only get one shot at it.

Comment

Originally posted by golong View Post
                Did you sort the brass first?
                Absolutely, both were Lake City from my scrap bucket .

Comment

Nicely done, Ed. A worthwhile project.
                  Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Oh. heck ya!! You did a great job!!

Comment

Very nice job on the scales!
                      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Very nice looking job. The only thing that tripped my warning button is that there's nothing to slow down a slip of a finger on the one on the right. I'm really short on ideas for a fix for that other than some more experience making scales ---
                        -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
                        -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Originally posted by ghrit View Post
                          The only thing that tripped my warning button is that there's nothing to slow down a slip of a finger on the one on the right.
                          Yes I did that one first. I copied the shape from a hunting knife I have that really feels good in my hand. I didn't adjust the height of the scales to account for the wider blade of the corn knife, which I corrected on the second one which is on the left. Luckily, what the photo doesn't really show well is the actual edge of the blade starts about 1 1/2" above the end of the scale. This is because I didn't put the edge on the blade before putting the scales on it so I couldn't get the edge ground any closer without also ruining the scales. Like I said, lessons learned the hard way. I'll probably give that one to my brother . I think the other one must be made from Valyrian steel. It's the one I couldn't drill, it was just too hard. It should work very well against White Walkers and the Walking Dead both should the need ever arise.

Comment

Working...
                          X