Double action single action problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double action single action problem

I have a Dan Wesson Mod. 15 that I am having issues with when shooting double action, it will not fire all the rounds, sometimes it will fire the first two or three then the next time it will not fire any but the last one or two, but it will fire every one when shooting single action I have tried my reloads as well as factory ammo with the same results. I contacted the person I bought it from he informed me that he changed the hammer spring to a lighter one and had no issues with it but he was shooting it single action. My question is would the lighter spring be causing this issue?
    I came to the oilfield to get rich now I got to stay to eat.

Yes, that could be the issue. had a friend with a DW years back, and somebody swapped the mainspring for a lighter one. He had the same problem. Trouble now is finding a factory spec mainspring.
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Hammer spring is first thing I think of, even before knowing it'd been switched out. It's probably just slightly too light, so swapping to next heavier spring should cure it.
      If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
      Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Dan Wesson is now owned by CZ-USA. might try to buy a new spring. I suspect the hammer is going back slightly further to the sear in single action mode; getting more force when released.

Comment

He is trying to find the one he replaced but if he is anything like me it was put in a safe place never to be seen again. I will get on the CZ site and see if I can find one. Thanks for the input guys that is what I was thinking but I am no gunsmith so getting it confirmed helps.

Comment

One thought. Are seating primers to the bottom of the cup? If not, the blow to the primer anvil might not be hard enough in double action to both seat the primer and ignite it. RD
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

RD the primers are seated all the way to the bottom I had thought about that also checked out all my handloads all are seated to the bottom of the pocket.

Comment

Pretty standard behavior when a hammer spring gets replaced with an excessively weak hammer spring to make real nice easy trigger pulls.

Comment

When I experienced occasional FTF from light strike in double action I will first try say a .020" washer to shim the spring. Sometimes it's just this fine line to cure the problem. Just don't add too much and cause the spring to fully compress or situation will get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
                    Pretty standard behavior when a hammer spring gets replaced with an excessively weak hammer spring to make real nice easy trigger pulls.
                    And not exactly advisable if it happens to be a carry gun for sure.
                    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Originally posted by cylinderman View Post
                      When I experienced occasional FTF from light strike in double action I will first try say a .020" washer to shim the spring. Sometimes it's just this fine line to cure the problem. Just don't add too much and cause the spring to fully compress or situation will get worse.
                      If I cant find a spring I will give this a shot.

Comment

The mainspring is in the grip and DWs are noted for the grip screw backing out the mainspring screw. It's a coil spring.

Take off the grips and adjust the mainspring screw in until 3-1/2# on the hammer. Locite in place.

BallisticBRYAN

Wisconsin Hunter Safety Instructor
                        Started reloading with my Dad at age 10(1977)
                        It was my Father\'s Olds! Restoring a 1956 Olds 88

Comment

Originally posted by BallisticBRYAN View Post
                          The mainspring is in the grip and DWs are noted for the grip screw backing out the mainspring screw. It's a coil spring.

Take off the grips and adjust the mainspring screw in until 3-1/2# on the hammer. Locite in place.

Thanks for the advice I will try this and see how it works.

Comment

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.ph...7d9cde2be0bc42
                            https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetai...it-Small-Frame

here is a couple links that might help you out. I have an old W-12 I freshened up last year with one of these parts kits, made a world of difference.

Comment

Thanks cylinderman looks like they have every spring that I would need thanks for posting the links.

Comment

Working...
                              X