No announcement yet.

Barrel Crown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ keese21. that parting of tool is blunt .... look at the push up at the sides of the cut.

Comment

From the comments from people like Obermeyer and others on crowns, they say they want the sharp corner, but not burrs to the inside of the bore.
      If you keep the bearing centered and you break the corner, are you not creating a new corner.
      With wide enough muzzles I have cut recessed crowns with a flat crown. I started with Brownell crown cutting tool, but do not like it and do not use it.
      Tried free handing the bearing, marble or the tools Brownell has for that. I always check crowns with bore scope and they never looked right. So I quit doing that.
      With the Manson tool, the adjustable pilots align the cutter precisely with the bore. So no need for chamfering. The corners are always sharp and the way they should be.
      Would not mind having a lathe and learning to use it.
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
        When we talk chamfer here, we are just breaking the sharp corner after cutting the crown. If done right, it is barely visible with the naked eye.
        Bear in mind when chamfering the muzzle that the lands will be cut deeper than the grooves, so they will confound and confuse (and be visible) unless you are aware of that. I have no clue how you would take the same amount of material off both.

-Remote locations are cheap insurance.
        -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

You are right ghrit. Once one just touches the grooves its time to stop. Some make that chamfer look more like a counter sink and thats just wrong and IMHO down right ugly.

Comment

Thanks, that answers questions I had about using bearings.
            "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Working...
            X