What is this and what is it's value?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this and what is it's value?

I just got my hands on this and would like some feed back on it.Is there anyone on here that knows anything about this and it's value?

Looks like a bear gun? I've seen something simular but not exactly like yours. Sticks head in a box of bait tries to pull it out and it goes off.
    Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

deaddog pretty much has it. F.C. Taylor Fur Getter. Bait goes on the hook. Pulling the bait fires the round.

Pretty decent find - where did you get it? Look to go $1k - $2k at auction. Does yours still have the wood screw at the end of the lower rod?

Edit: this may help https://www.guns.com/2012/07/23/set-...ter-sure-shot/
      Last edited by golong; 10-08-2018, 18:15.
      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
      -Winston Churchill

Comment

Basically, a set gun. Probably not legal anywhere. Also dangerous to use and set as anything (anybody) could set it off.

An interesting collectable. Most were crudely made, at least the ones I've seen.

Comment

Good find, Ive never seen this before, learn something new every day.

Comment

I haven't seen one of those in almost 25 years. The one I saw was in a trap that I stumbled across while I was hunting for squirrels in Alaska and I'll tell it is definitely effective because in the trap was a dead wolverine that had been there for quite some time. As Bear said it's defiantly dangerous and doesn't discriminate.
            Jeremy

"Necessity is the mother of all inventions."

Comment

I am thinking about putting this up for sale for $1800.00. Do you think that would be a fair price?

Comment

Can't hurt. Does seem high if it does not work and you don't have the wood screw, but not my market so my opinion may be worth as much money as I would give you for it.
                Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                -Winston Churchill

Comment

First one I've seen other then for gophers which was shot shells.
                  Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Some one make me an offer I can't pass up. I want to get my wife a 38 special wheel gun so we can do some shooting together and add to my collection also.

Comment

First thing I would do is make sure they're still legal to own.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                        Basically, a set gun. Probably not legal anywhere. Also dangerous to use and set as anything (anybody) could set it off.

An interesting collectable. Most were crudely made, at least the ones I've seen.
                        When I was a kid, (1950's, Wisconsin ) it wasn't unusual for my uncle and grandfather to put set guns (.22 birdshot)in the locked tool sheds when closing the cabin for the winter. I had no idea of the gravity of what they were doing; they were aimed at the door. Wisconsin prohibits Placing set guns for game, (29.927(5)), bit not possessing them.

Comment

Sounds like they were set to hit people entering.. Even hitting a person bareaking in would make it a felony; grandpapa just didn't undestand.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                            Sounds like they were set to hit people entering.. Even hitting a person bareaking in would make it a felony; grandpapa just didn't undestand.
                            Not that I wish them dead... but I don't think they would have walked off with my tractor battery this past spring if there was a set-gun in my shed just to make a bang/noise. Even blanks can kill someone... let alone ricochet; so I've been interested in those 12ga perimeter trip alarms and some 12ga pepper gas shells.

Comment

Simple solution to farm vandelism, is to put a spotlight and an old 'boom box' connected to a motion detecor. the light comes on with a lot of noise...they run. Boom boxes at flea markets cost $3 and the light and utdoor motion detector are less than $10 at Ace. job done....watch them run.

Comment

Working...
                              X