No announcement yet.

Bedding a rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was something I thought about after the fact last night, If I had just went ahead and layed the material in, it would have went where it needed to go I had all the necessary places plugged up but if I had missed something its nothing that a dremel wouldn't take care of pretty quick. Its like anything else in life I guess the first time you do it is the hardest or most complicated. I may have to dremel out and redo some of it but I will know for sure here in a few hours it was set pretty good this morning before I left coming to work, so it should be good by 6 tonight. If it wasn't my first rifle I ever had it wouldn't be a big deal id have done it and went on worst thing I screw it up and just have to buy a stock to put back on it not a big deal.

Comment

I have never used accuglass, but for Devcon a Dremel is good for cleaning up mag wells but not for taking the bedding down. They tend to skip and try to destroy your stock when doing fine work at difficult angles. If accuglass is anything like Devcon and you find you need to redo it, use 80 grit sand paper to rough up the lows and knock down the highs. Tape for protection, a steady hand, and a razor knife are your friends for cleaning up along the stock lip.

Adding bedding on top of low bedding that has been roughed up is simple enough - no need to redo the entire thing.
      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
      -Winston Churchill

Comment

that's good to know I was sort of wandering about just roughing it up and adding to it if it did not fill out like I wanted it to.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	833976
          Worked out pretty good turns out I used just enough got good fill and it is tight now hope that will shrink the groups down to the 1 minute range. If I can get a good 1 moa 5 shot group out of one of my loads I have worked up I will be really happy with my old rifle.

Comment

that will get it locked in for sure.
            Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
            -Winston Churchill

Comment

That looks good. I bed about the same as you did.
              Since this is an older rifle suggest a look at muzzle crown with a borescope and recrown if needed.
              The two can do wonders on accuracy.
              My Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 it is not as old as your's but would shoot in the 2" group area.
              I choose to restock mine, does not have the value of a pre-64, and I cut a new muzzle crown.
              I now have a Model 70 that shoots .75"-1" groups consistently.
              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

DesertMarine I looked at it last night and wandered if a crown job would help I may have to find me a smith around here that can recrown one. these are the times I wish I had a lathe at home. Monetarily mine isn't worth a whole lot either but it has a lot of sentimental value. I cant count the deer I killed with that rifle but the accuracy left it and it very well could be the crown received some damage.

Comment

Or the crown is just worn out.
                  If you were close to southeast NM I would cut a new crown for you.

Comment

That would be nice. I'm going to order an 11* crowning tool from brownells and do it after I get a baseline just on the bedding job. I'd like to see if it makes any difference. I'm eventually going to get me a lathe after I build me a shop where I can tinker on this stuff here.

Comment

I started with the Brownell tool. Be careful and do not cut with the barrel in a vertical position. Cuttings will go in between mandrel and bore and scratch the bore. Learned the hard way.
                      I would recommend the Manson Crown Cutting Tool. The whole kit is a little spendy but they work great. That is what I use. You can put the barrel in a vertical position with no damage to bore.
                      Look at them on page 18 and 19 of catalog. As good as a lathe.
                      https://mansonreamers.files.wordpres...g-med-file.pdf
                      Last edited by DesertMarine; 03-10-2019, 17:40. Reason: Add more info

Comment

DesertMarine I watched that video on you tube the other day and I figured it was way out of my price range. But for what your getting it's actually not a bad price. Considering what it's going to cost to take it or send it to a smith I'll probably be in about the same. But it will cut a perfect crown.

i was able to shoot some yesterday and I shot a 3 shot group with some Winchester 100gr SP that was 3" shot another 5 shot group with some 95 SST Hornady custom loads that was 2.250 so the bed job did not help at all. All that's left is either a bad crown or a shot out barrel. I'm going to try a couple more factory loads and a scope I know is good and seee if that makes any difference.
                        Last edited by STIHL; 03-11-2019, 23:12.

Comment

I got the complete kit and have about 5 mandrels for five different calibers. I have had it for around 5 years or so and it has paid for itself in recrowns on my and my friends rifles.
                          I got several used barrels when I first started and started practicing on them first. I don't look for "work", just for friends and I don't charge them.

Comment

DesertMarine I may have to buy it before its all over with, Thank you sir!

Comment

You are welcome and you will not regret it in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                              X