Stuck stock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck stock

Got a situation. As we are in anticipation of drawing a MT deer tag, my Dad has always wanted to take his Mdl 70 Fwt 280 on a trip. I have been able to get out the last few days and shoot some, I told him to bring it over. Well, it is shooting horrible, all over the paper. The old Redfield on it needs TLC, no problem, I'll put something on it for the hunt. I brought it in and found it to be badly wood bound. He won the rifle in 1989, hasn't been out of the safe in 5years...or more. Anyhow, I have taken dozens apart and sanded the barrel channel. Not this one, I absolutely can't budge the stock off the barreled action. Short of hammers and big drifts, I tried what I knew, now it will be off to the gunsmith with more and better tools than me. This rifle has never had anything done to it as far as bedding. It is an XTR pushfeed model, has anyone ran into this before? Was there some sort of bedding done on these at the factory that would make it so difficult to remove?

I have a FWT in 30-06 from around the same general time frame and had another one. No problems from either one.
    The other FWT in 308 I bedded the stock and did not put release agent on a little area, wound up breaking stock.
    On your father's rifle can think of only two things. But since you have done others before really don't want to ask about the middle action screw.
    Other is stock is either swelled up in the stock and created the situation.
    If the rifle was not new when your got won it maybe it was bedded and wound up gluing the stock to receiver.
    Suggestion, check the crown for the bad accuracy. I have worked on quite a few older Rem 700's and Win 70's which would not shoot good.
    Recutting the crown brought 2"-3" groups to around 1".
    Curious as to what has happened, keep us posted.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

If it hasn't been out of stock in 30yrs, is it possible underside of barrel and receiver has rusted in place?

Warming the stock, with low watt heat gun or hairdryer (to avoid damaging finish) and a shot of canned air through action, may cause enough thermal shock to release. I've unstuck a bedded action this way.
      Columbia Falls, MT
      If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
      Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

He won it NIB in 1989. Never had anything done to it, matter of fact he probably hasn't shot it in 8-10yrs. When I go over I open his safe and check em over make sure they aren't rusted!! I know for a fact nobody has ever taken the stock of this, if it was bedded it was done at the factory. I have several Mdl 70s and none of them were bedded. Wasn't sure about this era XTR's. Driving me nuts, I like to tinker on them but I don't want to damage it. My guess was it's swelled/rusted tight. If the stock breaks I don't wanna be the one to do it, but it is worthless like it is. It is/was a MOA rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertMarine View Post
          On your father's rifle can think of only two things. But since you have done others before really don't want to ask about the middle action screw.
          DM, Now you got my curiosity going. By "middle screw" are you saying that it has 3 screws? I've never owned a gun with more than 2 screws holding the stock in place. RD
          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

There are some that have two piece bottom metal that use 3 screws and some that use a one-piece bottom metal with 2 screws.
            Two piece
            http://homestead-service.com/apprais.../partspics.htm

One piece
            https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...0-new-model-sc

Comment

There are 3 screws on this. All 3 were out

Comment

Maybe put it in the freezer for the night and try to separate it after the metal has had time to build a little frost between it and the wood? No idea if that is a sound idea or not, but if its not moving it may be worth a try.
                Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by golong View Post
                  Maybe put it in the freezer for the night and try to separate it after the metal has had time to build a little frost between it and the wood? No idea if that is a sound idea or not, but if its not moving it may be worth a try.
                  It won't hurt to try it. Winchester used a form of hot glue in the recoil lug recess and removal of he stock may screw that up. Easy fix by replacing the "hot glue" with an epoxy bedding. I did that to three Winchester push feeders mostly because I didn't like the hot glue system. On one rifle it kind of crumbled up in pieces so the bedding was necessary. Figured I might as well do the others at the same time.
                  Paul B.

Comment

Fortunately have not come across hot glue in recoil lug recess.
                    How did you get stock off, gentle persuasion?

Comment

Plus one on golong and PaulB's advice.

Comment

Hot and cold MH, is your only answer, try the freezer as someone said, or a hair dryer, then a soft hammer on the under side of the barrel, when its cold and then try hot. Good luck you have plenty of time.
                        Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Update! My local smith got it apart without any damage. There was a type of epoxy in the recoil lug area. It squished up and around the receiver area. He cleaned out the excess, sanded the barrel channel and left the part that the recoil lug was bedded in. Should be good to go, we will see.

Comment

Working...
                          X