Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualified opinion wanted setting headspace (bolt action)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualified opinion wanted setting headspace (bolt action)

Putting a new barrel on what is now my wife's Savage 10 action. I set the headspace doing what I did last time which is no change in pressure from a stripped bolt/empty chamber to stripped bolt with the go gauge. However, I do not have any fired brass from this barrel (again, new barrel/different reamer) so I checked using previously fired but FL sized brass from the old barrel, both Lapua and Peterson. Using the Hornady kit, the shoulder measures 1.5570 - 1.5580 (some x70, some x75, some x80). I tested using the Peterson brass and backed the action off the barrel just until the x70 felt the same as the go gauge, and the x80 has a very slight increase in bolt handle resistance. The odd thing is the all the Lapua test brass feels the same, possibly even a little more pressure, than the x80 Peterson. Unfortunately I bottomed out the die on the shell holder, but I did leave a very small (1/32") turn out on the bushing die, meaning the shoulders are back nearly as far as they are going to get.

I know the barrel is safe based on the Go/No Go check, but what would you do with the headspace - leave it, back it out a bit until the x80 Peterson feels like the Go gauge so I can still get some shoulder bump after firing, or keep working it until the Lapua is feeling like the Go gauge?
    Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    -Winston Churchill

Really quick update - I think the Laupa is dragging because the heads are tarnished - leaving a slight shine mark on the head, where the Peterson is all bright and shinny.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    -Winston Churchill

Comment

As long as go gauge still chambers, factory ammo chambers (if desired), and your die can size brass, enough to chamber. I'd leave it, at least until I fired some rounds and made sure brass, fireformed to this rifle, was able to be sized correctly.

If this is to be used for hunting, I would leave more headspace, than bench rifle.
      Columbia Falls, MT
      If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
      Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

RobertMT you comment reminded me that I have some fired FC brass that a RO gave me. Based on the fired dimensions the brass was not shot from a match barrel. If I bottom out the die and bushing 1.5580 is all I can get from the FC brass. It chambers but is a bit stiff coming out - needed to use a rod rather than blowing compressed air down the barrel. Not sure what to do with that.

It is a 6.5 Creedmoor, long range target only. I do not have any factory ammo.

Do you think the chamber will allow the brass to expand enough to be able to set the shoulder back 0.002 or should back it off just a hair so I can get get the die off the shell holder?

-Winston Churchill

Comment

...the go gauge is 1.5555 measured using the same tool as the brass.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

You don't need .002" headspace nor shoulder set back on target rifle. Many set them up for .0005" or less headspace. The only caution, if you're going for crush fit, grease your lugs, so you don't gall them.

Until you run brass, through at least one cycle, you won't know exactly what headspace you'll end up with. If you compare chamber drawing, to what readings, you're getting from Hornady gauges, you can see how much these type of gauges vary.

Using your brass measurement and your go-gauge measurement, your brass is .002" longer/tighter in chamber. Since go-gauge is minimum and no-go is max, it sound's like you're on tighter end of spec, but not at minimum.
            Columbia Falls, MT
            If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
            Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Thanks, Robert. Yes I should have been more clear, I am try to avoid a crush fit. I also don't want my wife to get concerned because of a stuck case.

I found a standard RCBS die makes the FC brass fit and blow out just fine so factory ammo should work. What I left it at is getting x90 to close with slight pressure. Based on your comments, I will test fire and then adjust if needed.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
              X