Case stuck in barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case stuck in barrel?

I've heard of cases stuck in barrels and even heard of a guy who accidently killed his wife by pounding on a loaded case with a rod. She was steadying the gun on a rest while he hammered on the bullet in the case. The bullet compressed the powder and the pressure set off the primer. This caused the case to blow out the back. With no bolt in place the case struck her in the chest and killed her. Here is a simpler way to remove the case. A bit involved and still resulting in the case flying out with some pressure but far more controlled than hammering on a loaded round. This will only work with barrels threaded for a brake or flash hider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gecaRGGaYU
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Pretty interesting.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

One has to wonder about someone willing to hammer that danged hard on a loaded round stuck in a chamber, and that had to be SERIOUSLY stuck....... which again, begs the question of how it got seized in there that incredibly tightly.

Comment

I'm still trying to understand how pushing the bullet into the case created enough pressure that it detonated the primer. Can somebody splain me dat please?
        If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark Ed View Post
          I'm still trying to understand how pushing the bullet into the case created enough pressure that it detonated the primer. Can somebody splain me dat please?
          I second that emotion. How does smashed powder set off a primer?
          It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
          He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Yeah, me too. However freak things do happen now and then. My tools for removing a stuck case or cartridge are a cleaning rod for stuck cases and a large nail with the point ground off and the head removed. You just drop it down the barrel several times and usually the stuck cartridge come right on out. It'll work with a stuck case too. I haven't ever had a stuck cartridge but I have cleared a few for people at the range when they messed up.
            Paul B.

Comment

I'll take a stab at it, but it's likely to require a decently large flash hole, AND spherical powder.

We already know that IF you hit a primer anvil hard enough, even if the primer cup is not supported, you can set the primer off (see Rocky and his Co-Ax with any Questions).

Since that is, extremely unlikely BUT POSSIBLE, then IF you ca set up a decently solid powder column (ball) and smack the powder hard enough to drive the anvil into the pellet, then I can see how it could go off.
              You'd have to hit that powder column REAL hard though.
              Real sensitive Federal BR primers might help do it too.

We also Ass-U-Me that the primer was detonated (I do not know how anyone could prove one way or the other). While gunpowder is NOT particularly sensitive to anything except heat/fire, Were I a betting man I would be wagering that some other method actually lit the powder, not the primer being set off.
              Hitting anything transfers energy, SOME of that energy is ALWAYS lost in the transfer to Heat, it takes one small spot at just under 400*F to ignite smokeless gunpowder.

It is all guessing, but we all know that.

Comment

Having purposely destroyed more than my share of guns and even a few I wasn't trying to the above results are different than what I have seen. I started at a young age wrapping tape around a 12 gauge shell so it would snuggly fit in the mouth of a empty plastic gallon milk jug. I then applied a .177 caliber BB to the primer at about 350fps out of my Daisy. Said hull came back and hit my shoulder and the primer drew blood from my bicep. The shotshell pellets were all contained in the jug. Lesson learned. From then on I just taped the shotshells to the muzzle of the BB gun, problem solved.

If the primer ignites the powder in the cleaning rod scenario wouldn't the burn be traveling the wrong direction? Wouldn't the unsupported primer become the first projectile? The brass becoming a rocket like projectile burning outside the chamber? Perhaps the case head separated? Sending a 15 grain disk of brass at 150 fps. Painful, yes. May even poke your eye out. Now if the guy swapped out the bullet for a primer then managed to light it off...
                Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

I would add, more than likely, cartridge had failed to fire, after several try's and anvil was already pretty compressed. I would've drilled out primer first, if having to remove live cartridge and then pulled it.

I've had a couple separated cases, that broken shell extractor couldn't remove, I filled with cerrocast and the drove it out, before cerrocast shrunk.
                  Columbia Falls, MT
                  If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                  Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Since you guys challenged my story a bit I did some research on it.
                    I can't find the initial story. I know that I read it online as a news story, searches have not uncovered it but discussions surrounding the incident abound. There are several theories about how it could happen.

The first scenario is similar to DA's theory, that spherical powder had flowed into the primer and when the bullet on the loaded round was driven backward the column of powder transferred enough pressure to fire the primer. I KNOW that it doesn't take much pressure from a decapping pin to set off a live primer. BTDTGTTS! A bullet driven backward with a heavy rod could certainly build enough pressure on the powder to set off the primer. A heavy rod with a heavier hammer on its end would certainly cause a case to fly out of a barrel backward with enough force to kill someone.

Another theory was that if the barrel had oil poured into it to lube the chamber wall, or deaden the powder, and a tight fitting rod struck the perfect amount of oil, that the oil could have had a dieseling effect that either lit the powder of developed enough pressure of its own the drive the case backward.

I tend to favor the first theory.

As far as the OP and the grease gun I used a similar idea once.

I have a 50 Caliber Muzzle Loading barrel for my Mossberg 500 Shotgun. At one point in its life the flash hole became obstructed. The breach plug is not threaded but is welded or swaged into the barrel. I had a homemade nipple pick that I constructed with a heavy needle and a deer horn tip for a handle. I had used it to clear the nipple on my caplock rifle for years with no trouble. I snapped it off in the Mossberg barrel about 5 seconds into the process of trying to clear the breech plug. I could not figure out how to get the needle out. It was not sticking through to the inside and there was nothing on the outside to get a hold of even if I could find a needle nose pliers that was smaller than a shotgun primers outside diameter. The needle was harder than a drill bit so that was no option.
                    The barrel kicked around here for a couple of years when I thought of using hydraulics to remove the needle. I stood the barrel on a short piece of 2x6. The barrel had a fairly long shank with enough clearance to let the needle come out if I could get it loose. I used a plastic Hornady sabot, designed for shooting .458 pistol bullets in the 50 caliber barrel. I fitted a 7/16 dowel in the sabot and poured about a cup of ATF in the barrel. I slid the saboted dowel down the barrel until it contacted the oil. With the barrel resting on the 2x6 I gave the dowel one hell of a rap with a 3 pound ball peen hammer. There was a bit SPLAT sound as the needle and a batch of oil shot out on the first lick. In fact there was oil all over my garage floor. I wish I knew how many PSI this generated. But I don't know and, more importantly, it worked. RD
                    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I recall the story. It happened in the 80's. It was at a benchrest event. Loaded round was stuck in a chamber. Bolt removed and a cleaning rod was used to bump it out. Powder ignited,wife was struck by the case and died. The primer was never ignited.
                      I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

In looking at some more info on stuck case fatalities It appears that Ed Matunas wrote the original article as posted in the link below. Lots of other info there too but 2 or 3 mentions of the article. Can't find the article yet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...live-cartridge

Comment

Possibly pour the barrel half full of water and drive in a soft round ball.
                          I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

A good friend and constant shooting companion managed to stick a improperly sized round in the chamber of his AR-10. Once an out of battery condition is discovered, what's the first thing to do on most any AR type rifle? Yup you guessed it, pop the forward assist a few good wacks of course!

After the initial method of pull the charging handle failed to dislodge the offending round, the tried and true pull the handle along with butt-stroke the rifle successfully pulled the rim off the case. Next up, he tried sending the 12" long solid heavy brass rod down the barrel with as much energy as possible. No joy.

After hearing of his troubles I directed him to the youtube video Rocky linked above. He promptly setup and turned out the adapter needed to screw on a zirk fitting and thread on to the muzzle. Then he blocked off the gas port, hooked up the grease-gun, began pumping and promptly fractured the housing on the grease-gun. Yes sir boy howdy was he a happy camper about then!

Luckily he was able to scavenge and adapt over enough steel fittings so as to be able to hook up a hydraulic "Inter-Pack" pump, at just over 4000 psi on the pump gauge the cartridge finally let loose with much grease and oil splattering the opposite wall and floor in between!

So, while the grease-gun method will work, there's no guaranty it'll work every time!

GC
                            AOBTW: Once the barrel was inspected and the rifle reassembled it shot to the same point of aim and the function was as good as ever... With Factory ammo and properly full length sized hand loads!
                            Last edited by Guncrank; 08-01-2019, 22:08.
                            "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

THAT is dam funny. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X