blue color on patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blue color on patch

I picked up a DPMS Panther Orcale 308 this weekend, and of course went shooting. I came home and was cleaning the barrel, the previous owner is not big on cleaning weapons, anyway after getting most if not all the carbon out a blue liquid started showing on the gun patches after passing through the bore... Anyone have an idea what might be happening or why?
    My view on gun control??? 5 inch grouping at 25 yards with my 9mm

Back in the day bullets bounced off superman!
    So why did he duck when the bad guy threw the gun at him? (think B/W TV)

The blue color would show signs of copper in the barrel . If it has heavy deposits you can switch to a cleaner made to remove copper . Follow the directions some can harm steel if left in the barrel to long .

If you mean liquid was coming out without you using a liquid , some of the cleaner that you used to remove the carbon probably was forced into the gas tube .
    Last edited by pcj; 05-12-2019, 20:56.

Comment

If you are using a cleaner that removes copper fouling the copper will show up blue on your patches as you clean. One caution is that if you use a brass brush, or brass jag, the copper in the brass could also show as blue on the patch. If the former owner wasn't big on cleaning from the time the gun was new it's not uncommon for new barrels to build some copper until they get broken in. My bet is that you are getting some copper out of the barrel. You just need to keep cleaning until the blue disappears unless it's from your cleaning tools. RD
      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

There are some cleaning rod jags that are not made of brass so they will not show blue. Bronze brushes will show blue. Nylon brushes will not show any blue.
        There are bore solvents that will take the copper without harming the bore. Solvents with ammonia will harm bores if left in too long.
        I use Wipe Out Patch Out and Bore Tech Eliminator and have left them in the bore overnight with no damage. With those I have basically having to use bore brushes.
        There are probably other solvents that work as good as the two I use but I am not familiar with them.
        It might take several applications but they will get the job done.
        "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Thanks for the info. My guess would be copper fouling due to the amount of carbon residue I found. Looks like I will be breaking it out again and finish cleaning it till the (blue) copper fouling is gone. I have been using hoppe's #9 for the bore and CLP for everything else.. Thanks again for the info Friz
          My view on gun control??? 5 inch grouping at 25 yards with my 9mm

Back in the day bullets bounced off superman!
          So why did he duck when the bad guy threw the gun at him? (think B/W TV)

Comment

Sounds like the previous owner was either lazy or not very bright. I've run into his type all my life. Well over half or more of the weapons brought into my gunsmithing shop for repair were simply filthy. Nothing mechanically wrong, just pure neglect.

Ran into a guy at Wal-Mart while buying some ammo last month. He got to talking about wanting to buy a Glock in .45ACP. I smiled, and he went on saying his reason was that you never have to clean or oil it. He was fully convinced that Many weapons do not require cleaning. Ever.

I bought my ammo. Thanked the young lady behind the counter. Smiled at the guy that never cleaned his weapons knowing that I encountered yet another brain dead moron. And promptly left. The world is filled with idiots just like him. Tragic only for the weapons. They can't clean themselves. The mental midget that never maintains his weapons? I couldn't care less. You can't fix stupid.
            "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

I have run into those that don't clean their firearms. I clean rifles for a few friends. One inherited some guns from his father-in-law. One a Rem 11 shotgun. Worse any type of gun that I have had to clean. But it makes me a little bit of money cleaning them and I enjoy working on some of those old guns.
              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Done that last year with a neighbor across the road when his father gave him almost two dozen super filthy weapons.

But I am proud of Friz and his approach to proper weapon's maintenance! With him owning that weapon now, it's life expectancy shot right up the scale. Bravo, and well done.
                "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                X