Rifle Stock Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Stock Building

I'm laying out a chunk of walnut that I bought for $8 at the Habitat Restore center to attempt my first stock build. I'm using the link for a rough set of plans. https://rickaverill.com/carbon-fiber-redwood-stock/ You'll have to wait a few seconds for the page to download and the scroll past the list of projects and some text to see the stock. The builder was using redwood for weight reduction and stiffened the soft wood with a layer of carbon fiber. I don't envision needing to do that using walnut. I will have to piece together the buttstock like the builder did (think Arisaka) as my walnut isn't wide enough to do the job. I do however, need some input on the bottom of the buttstock. You can see how the builder made his with two lower buttstocks for different target rifle specs. Both are somewhat close to how most hunting rifles are made.

I'm going to use this stock for a doggin' rig. I have a fairly large bench and I use a height adjustable rest and a rear bunny back to hold the rifle. By sliding the rear bag back and forth under the slanted buttstock I can make a fair amount of height adjustment without messing with the front rest.

I also had a member on here send me some photos of a nice home built or perhaps self built might be a better term as there's nothing home made about that beauty. He made his buttstock with a totally different shape. The underside of his stock runs parallel with the top of the stock. His gun recoils straight back with very little variance from shot to shot. This looks to be a great stock for shooting targets, especially groups, but I'm wondering if it will take more time to adjust the up and down of the front rest as I won't have the luxury of sliding the bag back to lower the front end or sliding it forward in the bags to drop the butt and raise the barrel?

I suppose I could make the stock interchangeable by bolting it on like the original builder did but wondering if that's needed. Has anyone here used the straight buttstock shooting P-dogs versus the tapered stock? Any thought or comments on which buttstock style that you would use?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. RD
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Rockydog, have built a few stocks from rough turned blanks. It is key that you have the action screw holes in proper alinement. Beyond that patience is key. Small shavings with a chisel yield better results then large ones. A great deal of material can be removed with a drill bit. Your socket set will work well for sanding the barrel channel and action area. Have not used but a router or milling machine would possibly speed the process. Stop working when you tire of the job or try to rush. I prefer a high comb on scope mounted rifles. Glass and pillar bedding can mask minor imperfections. I hope you receive a great deal of satisfaction from your project. I you fail try again. Good luck. I saved these projects for cold dark Wisconsin winters.

Comment

Comment

I prefer not messing with the height of the buttstock as much as possible. Small changes can be accomplished with a softer bag that you can squeeze to raise or press down on to lower. It keeps from having to adjust your body position when changing from target to target. If you are out past 300 yards then a little movement goes a very long way. I also don't appreciate it when recoil changes the height of the rifle on me because of a slanted stock. It is much harder to keep a good follow-through, and then you almost always have no choice other than to readjust your position.

I think it would be interesting if you could come up with a design that allows you to hold/squeeze the bag while being able to keep your thumb or index finger on the stock in a manner that allows you to keep everything together. You don't need to hold on much as a little goes a long way. The premise is you will be able to get back on target easier because your body has a secondary continual reference point beyond cheek placement.
        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
        -Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
        X