What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use?

What do you gunsmiths/machinists use between lathe chuck and barrel to keep from scratching barrel?
    We used beer can aluminum when we turned down muzzle brake which scratched Cerracote finish on barrel.
    Going to turn down a brake on another rifle and would like to avoid scratching bead blasted finish by factory on SS barrel.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Back in the day, it was very thick leather pads and screw 'em down seriously tight.
    -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
    -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Thanks ghrit.

Comment

DesertMarine, Brass or aluminum strips between 1/16" to 1/8" thick, cut to jaw size or slightly larger, as they will collapse nicely to the shape of the jaws and the barrel. You can wire or duct tape them on. Me I just slide them in. Also use low turning pressure lathe tools. For this type of work, hand sharpened high speed steel tools work best, as carbide likes higher working pressure. Stainless steel can be tough to turn.
        Last edited by jackson1; 05-18-2019, 06:29.

Comment

Thanks Jackson.
          I will suggest it to my nephew, my gunsmith. He uses beer can aluminum, one thickness, which I guess is to thin.
          Retired Army Ranger so he gets hard headed sometimes. Have to pull Marine Uncle rank on him.

Comment

your shim needs to be minimum 1/16th to form and not scratch. Jackson gave you great advice

Comment

Working...
            X