Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's hunting with a muzzleloader this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember reading PA muzzleloader regs awhile ago...they said NO sabots and then went onto to say the patched round ball is NOT a sabot.

Technically, I could how someone could think a PRB is a sabot.

sab·ot/ˌsaˈbō/
    noun
    A device that ensures the correct positioning of a bullet or shell in the barrel of a gun, attached either to the projectile or inside the barrel and falling away as it leaves the muzzle.
    BallisticBRYAN

Wisconsin Hunter Safety Instructor
    Started reloading with my Dad at age 10(1977)
    It was my Father\'s Olds! Restoring a 1956 Olds 88

Comment

IIRC there was a plastic patch that was designed to hold a round ball back in the 1970s. It was called a Poly Patch and it was at the fore end of the sabot development. The problem was that they did not firmly grip the ball. If you tipped the gun down the ball would sometimes roll out of the barrel, if you were lucky. If you weren't lucky the ball would get stuck in the barrel and then act like a bore obstruction when the gun was fired. One more way to solve a non existent problem and create a bigger one. Inventor must have been a former politician.
      Last edited by Rockydog; 11-13-2017, 22:02.
      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

[QUOTETechnically, I could how someone could think a PRB is a sabot.
        ][/QUOTE]

I thought Bear was the attorney on this board.

"The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I received an e-mail from a good friend to whom I sold a Matt Avance, TVM, flintlock, Lancaster in 50 cal. Arlen sent along a picture with his first deer taken with a flinter and PRB. When he got home I believe he threw away his in-line.
          "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

Here in Nebraska we have the month of December for our ML season. Pretty much anything goes: flinters, caplocks, even those in-line abominations. I'll be spending part of the next week getting the battery ready. I'll be using a T/C .50 Hawken, a T/C .45 Seneca, and a custom .50 York County rifle. Lookin' forward to it!
            Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I got a few grouse packing the 14ga double with one barrel of birdshot and the other with buck, but didn't see any deer I could grow horns on. Better luck next year, maybe.
              windy
              Sonny, whar I growed up, "magnum" wuz another word for "lousy hunter"!

Comment

Tomorrow is the last day of statewide Flintlock season. Rained here the last 36 hours. Rain thru 6am tomorrow with temp changing to 14 of and sleet/ice.

Cleaned the flintlock and took the snowshoes out of truck. Me thinks im done FL hunting. Maybe chase them with x-bow.

Comment

I shot a nice 3x3 whitetail earlier in the season with my CVA. Walked in front of me at first light on my first day out with the muzzleloader. 3 days before end of season, took my 17 year old son out. He got a good 4x4. Took the wife out the same evening and she shot a really nice 4x4. It was the first time they had shot a muzzleloader. My wife got a good scope eye out of it. Was black for 3 weeks.

Comment

I didn't get to go at all...spent 5 weeks sicker than a dog. Ah well, there's next year.
                    "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

Hunted for pheasant and ruffed grouse a bit with a 16 gauge flintlock fowler.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                      X