Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

Did something I thought I would NEVER do...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did something I thought I would NEVER do...

Spent part of y'day getting my ML deer rifles ready for the season opener at the end of the week. A bit frustrating as the eyes aren't all that fond anymore of those open sights. Then today I saw Midway had a T/C inline on sale for $214, plus a $25 rebate from T/C. I don't much like the idea of inlines, but you CAN put some optics on them. So I ordered the thing. Makes me kind of a hypocrite since I have talked them down all these years. Maybe I'll pollyanna it and say you gotta change with the time. (You don't actually; but *I* did.)
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	arquebus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	789723

At some point I figured that I had taken enough deer with a sidelock that I had nothing left to prove. That left me the choice of building an arquebus matchlock or going to an inline. I'd shot a 69 caliber matchlock that belonged to a friend years ago and though one would be neat ever since. It's a challenge to keep the fuse lit and adjusted all day long. I still might build one some day. But, since the eyes are struggling too, I thought the better choice was the inline. RD
    Last edited by Rockydog; 2 weeks ago.
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I don't think my great grandfather ever said "I'm going to hamstring myself this year and use the old matchlock hanging on the wall rather than this new fangled smokeless powdered 94 Winchester"? The few deer I've shot with a side lock cap gun were not anymore difficult than using a shotgun slug. The hard part was getting the gun to operate correctly or to just get it to go at all. Nostalgia has its place I guess? I like shooting A recurve bow but only hunt with a compound. Its's coming up on 30 years since my first inline. They have evolved quite a bit in that time. My stainless steel .45 Omega with a 3-9 Firefly scope shoots the same size group at 330 yards as my first generation inline with fiber optic sights at 230 yards. The old Hawken does the same at 130 yards. This year is the first year it's legal to use scopes during the muzzle loading season here. Before we could only use optics during the regular gun season.

Comment

Never had a problem with any percussion rifle firing. Design flaw or loading? BP itself is one of the easiest things to burn ever, some of the substitutes, especially the early ones, could be finicky. As for sights, the shorter barrel stuff gets harder to see every year. Long barrel eastern type rifles and fowlers I can still see the front sight, as it is still way out there.
        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

If I thought I needed it, I'd put a spotting scope on a slingshot. Oh wait, I do need it Doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes me a realist.
          If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

I don't get the whole season thing anyway. Bow and firearm season ..... that should be it. Lets face it, the majority of hunters sit in a blind or tree, wait for a deer to show up and nail it at way under 100 yards. At those ranges it makes no difference how you speed up that chunk of metal to get the job at hand done.

Comment

One of the first ML seasons was PA's flintlock season. Buckskinners wanted the woods cleared of 'modern yahoos' so they could hunt in period gear with their flinters, without orange. Far as I know it's still extant. Minorities have rights, too.
              Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
                I don't get the whole season thing anyway. Bow and firearm season ..... that should be it. Lets face it, the majority of hunters sit in a blind or tree, wait for a deer to show up and nail it at way under 100 yards. At those ranges it makes no difference how you speed up that chunk of metal to get the job at hand done.
                That' what Texas has. Bow season, and then firearm season. During firearm season, you can use anything except a rimfire. Rifle, handgun, shotgun, or muzzleloader. Some counties do have a late doe and spike period, but that falls under the firearm season. Unlike most states, the vast majority of hunting is done on privately owned land, no requirement for orange or other tuff.
                "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

That makes a lot more sense to me the the rules in PA for example. Where by the time you read the rule book the season is over

Comment

Here ya go Plainsman! Click image for larger version

Name:	CC09408C-B625-4D9A-A6EF-34C8EE9650A7.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	789786
                    Not as Lean, Not as Mean, but still a Marine!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                    X