Need help loading 1851 Navy revolver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help loading 1851 Navy revolver

I just picked up a Uberti 1851 Navy revolver and need some advice. I've seen several different methods of loading. The only thing they seem to agree on is the powder goes in first. Some say seat the ball directly on the powder; others put a lubed patch between powder and ball; still others put the patch on top. Some use grease, etc, etc. I guess any of these would actually fire, but which is best? And why? Thanks!

I prefer grease over the ball, seems to keep fouling softer and easier to clean up. Either way will work.
    My method?
    1. Dry fire a cap on each chamber to make sure the nipple is open.
    2. Charge the chambers using a good flask with the proper charging spout.
    3. Seat the balls. (I prefer round ball, rather than bullets) If the ball has a flat spot where the sprue was cut, being cast rather than swaged, be sure the flat spot is consistently set so it faces the top of the cylinder..
    4.Apply a thin coat of grease over the ball. No need to fill the cylinder to the top, just cover the ball.'
    5. Cap all nipples. If loading five, set the hammer on the empty cylinder. If loading six, set the hammer on the pins between the nipples Fine for range use, for carrying around, load 5 and go with the empty chamber, just like a SAA.
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

^ Yep.

Use 3F.

Try not to shoot your eye out.
      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I’m a fairly recent convert to wool wads in between the powder and ball. Is it the best or better way I don’t know? It is easier. One thing I do believe is the best way to load is with a cylinder loading tool. I think mine is made by Traditions.? It provides way more leverage than the gun’s lever. I am able to shoot balls or bullets cast from wheel weights that are much harder than lead. It also helps when the cylinder starts to get dirty.

If if you don’t use the wads make sure you use grease. I forgot one time and had two holes chain fire. It was a little five shot .31 caliber. It was quite unpleasant. Didn’t hurt the gun but my hand felt like it was hit with a hammer.

Comment

Because of the length of loading ram on Uberti, you really need filler above powder. With the recommended 20-22gr charge of 3F, ball doesn't set tight enough against powder. I've used both the wool wads and COW/CM as fillers, wads are more expensive, but cleaner. Grease over ball, makes cleanup easier and is probably safer.

Cap and ball, really makes you, understand why cartridge revolver was such an improvement. I always think, how it would be loading and capping one, while under fire, in bad weather, or in dark.
          If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
          Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I finally got to the range today and had a great time with the 1851. I still don't have a flask, so I used Lee dippers instead. The 1.3cc is about 15 gns; 1.6 about 20. After a few tries, I settled on approx 18 gns. It shot a little high at 15 yds, but pretty consistent. I found out what happens when you don't seat a ball below the cylinder rim. The gun was considerably easier to clean than I expected. I used lubed wads over the Pyrodex charge and a dab of grease over the ball. I used the Murphy's oil concoction and it cleaned up great. I dried everything and finished up with Ballistol. Can't wait for the next time! Oh, and .38 Ramrodz work great on the .36 cal 1851.

Comment

Pyrodex? PYRODEX? Mr. Hickock is rotating in his grave at a high rate of speed.
              Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Yeah, I've looked all over town for black powder. Apparently, it doesn't exist anymore, except by mail order.

Comment

BP can be hard to find, depending on your location. I don't care much for Pyrocrap, but it does work.
                  "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I didn't notice you had 36, correct caliber for navy, most common replica is 44, even though not correct.

I'm not sure if they're still offering reduced hazmat, but grafs often has decent prices. Many like Swiss better, but Goex seems to work well. If you add some smokeless, caps, or primers, shipping and hazmat becomes reasonable.
                    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/5449
                    If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                    Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Working...
                    X