Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uberti 1860 Army .44 cal - .451 ball ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uberti 1860 Army .44 cal - .451 ball ok?

Uberti says .454, but since I already had some .451, I tried them. They shaved off a sliver of lead when seating and seemed pretty accurate once I got the powder charge right. I started with 22 gns of Pyrodex and was all over the target. Bumped it up to 25 and hit much better groups. Should I still get the .454's?

If you get the magic silver ring, the ball is tight enough. Too small a ball will allow a chainfire, the flash gets past the ball and ignites the powder charge.in the next chamber (or 2 or 3!).
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Use the real black, cheaper and easier to clean, than the fake stuff. I found balls vary a lot by MFG, some are terrible and others like Hornady are beautiful. Of course home cast are best, I tried the conicals, they're a pain and not worth trouble. I use both .451 and .454, I can get away, with less than pure lead, with smaller ball.
      Columbia Falls, MT
      If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
      Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

RobertMT, what is less than pure lead? Zink weal weights?

Comment

Working...
        X