Your choice of 50cal muzzleloader bullets for deer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your choice of 50cal muzzleloader bullets for deer

Hello, everyone its nearly that time in va, when we get to lay down the bow and arrow and finally grab a gun. For the last 10 yrs ive used the 250 gr Tc shockwave / or Hornady 250 gr sst. They shoot wonderful in my Tc Impact and Tc omega but I never get a decent blood trail. So thats got me thinking about changing my bullet choice. Im considering the Barnes mz expander. My goal is to get pass throughs and good blood trails. Federal 209 A is the primer i use, Blackhorn 209 powder (90 gr. BY Volume). What works for you? As always thanks

Both parcels of land that I hunt was logged 4 yrs ago so ( if you've ever hunted cutovers ....u know why ya NEED a blood trail them rascals can disappear quick !!!! Lol

Comment

I use a patched round ball, in my 50 and 58 cal ML. More accuracy for me.

Comment

It's hard to beat a pure lead patched .50 ball as a killer, if your rifle will shoot it. My main flinter is 1:60 and likes 'em. This year for the first time I am using a TC Impact (inline) and plan to shoot 300gr .45 XTP Hornadys. Haven't shot a deer with them yet so am anxious to see what they will do.
        Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Yea ive really thought about the 45 cal Hornady xtp 300 gr. Its def on the short list of bullets to try... Bear ive never tried the patched round ball but my Tc Impact is a 1:28 twist. The tc shockwave and hornady sst 250 gr is the same bullet... they shoot wonderful and my avatar pic of the decent skull mount was shot with it. BUT he ran a 100yd and didnt bleed enough to fill a tea cup. He was shot behind the shoulder and had a hole the diameter of the bullet but it never expanded

Comment

I use 300 gr 44cal Hornady XTP on deer and hogs in my CVA with 100 grains of triple 7. Accurate and hammers them.
            The world is my drop zone. Good to the last drop.

Comment

I've shot most bullets. Actually like the Minnie in my 58 and 45 black powder rifles.

The sabot rounds are jacketed pistol bullets, with diameters smaller than your 50 cal.. a round ball will be about .010 smaller than the bore...big holes in and out.

I get good accuracy with RB even on 1:48 twist, each rifle will be different. But since today most guys want a quick simple load, manufactures are making gun to shoot pellets and plastic sabot loads with smaller bullets.

Comment

I use a hornady sabot and a Lyman 452490, 255 grain,cast bullet in my 50 caliber inline. The wide meplat and sharp shoulder cut a well defined hole all the way through with what appears to be adequate blood for trailing. But, that's a bit hard to judge as the deer I've shot with this combo haven't taken more than a couple of steps.

Obviously no gas check needed in the sabot. In fact, it's not even a gas checked bullet. Why the check was in the stock photo I have no idea. RD

Click image for larger version  Name:	452490-2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	7.7 KB ID:	822305
                Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Nice looking bullet Rocky.

Comment

CVA Bobcat caplock, 295gr Remington Powerbelts atop 90gr of The Holy Black (FF or FFF)

70gr and a roundball for practice/trigger time.

No they don't shoot to the same POA, I deal with it, sights are set for the hunting load.

Comment

I use the Barnes Spitfire TMZ with sabot. So far all of mine have exited with huge amounts of blood loss. Shreds the lungs. Also super accurate in my rifle. The RSO at the range couldn't believe how they shot

Comment

PRB. Every whitetail I've hit in the chest cavity with a ball has been down within about 10 feet.
                        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Well l shot for a good while Sunday evening guys and i decided to go with the .452 Hornady 300 xtp mag and sabots and 110 grn by Volume , Federal 209a primer. Accuracy was 1.5 groups at 100 yds. Thanks for all your help guys im really confident in the load.

Comment

Sry the powder was Blackhorn 209

Comment

Double patched ball and 70 gr ffg gets it done out to 100 yds for me from my TC Hawken .50 Cal. caplock.
                              “Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”
                              ― Franz Kafka

Comment

Working...
                              X