Anyone make their own BP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make their own BP?

Just curious if there are others here on this forum that make their own black powder. If you do shout out and let me know. It's not that difficult, but you do have to be careful. Shucks, having the ability to make my own during the "Great Hoarding Epidemic" allowed me to keep shooting after I was out of that fancy smokeless powder. So, anybody making their own?
    "There's not a problem I can't resolve with a good lefthook or a slug from a .45."

Kit Fox. aka; the Angry Ranger.

With the blank screen and sound of crickets, I'll take that as a "No".
    "There's not a problem I can't resolve with a good lefthook or a slug from a .45."

Comment

Had a large BP mill/factory a few miles from my home.

It disappeared one weekend night! Cost of all my BP needs doesn't amount to enough to take the risk.

While the ATF might not mind a personal supply, State and local laws should be thoroughly investigated. Certainly not covered under your home owners insuance.

Comment

My massive amounts of powder production is 2 oz. or so at a time. Don't believe it to be noteworthy. But does keep my Hawken going for a few rounds.

Comment

the wanna be preppier in me should at least acquire the components

what is being used these days for the potassium nitrate? stump remover? I have about a pound of dry powdered sulfur

Comment

Ground potassium nitrate from farm supply or pharmacist supply. Powdered hardwood charcoal from garden supplies. And WATER! Ya never mix dry... Ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Kit Fox View Post
              With the blank screen and sound of crickets, I'll take that as a "No".
              I know how my luck runs.
              Lady Luck acts like she's one of my ex's.
              Not a chance, no way, no how, no level of desperation is high enough.

Comment

Y'all not real adventurous huh? Don't know what's to be skiddish about. BP was being made by children in the latter part of the Middle Ages.

And I've been through three ex-wives. Was asked at the VA hospital once how well I endure pain. When I told 'em I've been married three times, the surgeon said to cancel the anesthesiaist.

Comment

There is one person that makes his own he uses it in his cannon at the start of our meets. I don't believe he shoots it in his competition rifle.

Comment

Yep,,, The Holy Black was blowing up children back in the middle ages, fortunately Good Catholics back then kept up a ready supply of replacements.

Comment

Back around 1960 dad and I played with Estes Model rockets. Dad was an Army Ordnance guy and pretty smart

New motors were kinda pricey so we experimented with re-packing the expended tubes... no real thoughts on Impulse power just a new reused tube with black powder

Furgal...fun experiments as most just blew up destroying the rocket...while we learned how to load and tamp them...grin

We Fine ground the base powders, each separate....Right now I do not remember the ratios but certain I can look them up

Ultimately we found that I could extract enough BP from fire works to not bother with home refinery of base components

Never underestimate the tenacity of a 10 year old to slit a thousand Black Cats to get to a half pound of good BP....grin

Comment

Now ya done gone 'n got me all skeerd!
                        I'm a'gonna go flush my black powder down the toilet, 'n throw my black powder shootin' irons in the lake so nobody can get themselves blowed up!
                        Ya reckon I'll be safe with a slingshot?
                        I'd better not take a chance. Might outta go join them Dem-O-Cratz n' learn ta' be an anti-gun feller.

Comment

You could very well put your eye out with a sling shot, every bit as easily as a BB Gun.

Comment

I had Estes model rockets.

No, I did not try to re-use motors.

Comment

I was going to say more here, but I'll just move on.
                              Its sorta pointless...

Comment

Working...
                              X