Muzzleloading German SxS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muzzleloading German SxS

I have a friend who would like to sell a German made Caplock Muzzle Loading SxS. It is very ornately carved and outfitted and was part of his parents estate. He is a shooter but never saw the gun fired in his lifetime and basically has no interest in it. I believe, based on photos, that it is Damascus barrelled but also shows some corrosion inside the muzzle. It may not be safe to shoot. The problem is that he has no idea as to its worth. I'll see if I can post some photos. If any of you have an opinion as to value I'd love to hear it. RD

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_201751.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	829139
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Barrel rib.

Name:	20190107_201824.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	829141
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Stock Bottom view. Note the extreme cast to the stock. If you could see this blown up the face is a very nicely carved dog.

Name:	20190107_202001.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	829145

Comment

And the overall gun.

Name:	20190107_201836.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	829147

Comment

Oh, Forgot the locks.

Name:	20190107_201756.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	829149

Comment

Even if just a wall hangar, would make a wonderful piece of art.
            "The definition of madness is doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result." The HIVES

Comment

Boy, it does have a lot of cast off! Can you post the name on the rib? I can't make it out. Is there any stampings anywhere? Some German cities had what could be loosely described as a proof law long before Germany was a nation as we know it today.

Value....whew. Just about what you two can agree on. Not long ago, a few months, I bought a Manton, 16 bore, ML, double gun in its original mahogany case and in absolutely stunning condition. It too had Damascus barrels in excellent condition, we believe it has the original ramrod and a few tools and bottles that I am convinced are period correct but not original to the gun. I gave $1100 for it and I thought that was a heck of a deal. That mine is shootable was never in question but it lacks even a smidgen of the decoration that one has. That one looks as if it mostly needs a darn good cleaning. I hope the corrosion isn't too bad. They are a hoot to use!!!

I watched for a long time to find a 16 and always expected it would be German and thought it odd the one I ended up with is British. Anyway, watching for one for close to 10 years, those I saw similar to that one were anywhere from around $500 for one that might be usable up to $1500+...and + a great deal more...for one that was assuredly shootable. Saw one the other day for over 5K but it was....flippin' AS NEW!!!! Man, that was a piece.
              "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

9.3X75R, Thank you for your opinion. I have not actually seen or held this gun. I don't even know the gauge. The gun belongs to a co-worker who is selling off parts of his parent's estate. Just not enough room for everything. I will see if I can get a hand on it and look for proof marks etc.

I just bought a beatiful Roll Top Desk from the same estate. This gun hung over that desk for this guy's entire life. First at his grandparents house and then at his parents. RD

Comment

Working...
                X