Billy Dixon,shot of the century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Dixon,shot of the century

Subject from another thread.https://truewestmagazine.com/billy-d...f-the-century/
    I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

I think Billy spoke true.
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

IIRC,he was quoted as saying."It was a scratch shot"
      I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

more, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...of_Adobe_Walls

Comment

Originally posted by wheezengeezer View Post
          IIRC,he was quoted as saying."It was a scratch shot"
          Yes he was. I believe I first read it in Mari Sandoz, "The Buffalo War" but, I expect it's definitely in other publications.

Several years ago, maybe a couple decades already, some whiz-bang of a computer genius said the shot was not possible as the bullet could not possibly carry that far. I believe the article I first read was by Venturino. At any rate, they ended up some place I think in the southwest where this dork was going to prove it. Anyone who has ever played with old BP cartridges and shooting them at distances knows the results, the bullet was able to carry a lot farther than the Dixon shot. They were able to just about duplicate the Dixon shot of 1538 yards. I suspect the article was in Shooting Times as that's who Venturino was writing for at the time when it was still a decent gun rag.
          "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

I was curious so I did some messing about with the JBM ballistics calculator. Since details are spotty I had to make some experimental assumptions. They are: a 50-90-437 (commerical) load at 1650fps muzzle velocity. BC= .180. The results were that the bullet drop at 1538Y (how was this measured and by whom?) would be 242 feet, with a remaining FPE of 233, and remaining velocity of 798fps. Flight time would have been 4.4 seconds. Windage with a 10mph wind at 90° would have been 24 feet.

I'll be going by Adobe Walls in May and am tempted to stop and see if I can measure the distance with a modern rangefinder, altho I don't think mine will measure that far. Maybe I could do it in stages, IF the target area can be more or less accurately defined.

I think these figures pretty much bear out Dixon's own admission that it is was a lucky shot. He was aiming a group of men almost a mile away and lucked out. To his credit he never claimed it was skill that did the job.
            Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Unless my memory fails me, and I don't believe it is in this instance, the measurement was done by the Army not long after the fight.
              "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Romans 1:22

"Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it"

NRA Benefactor,

Comment

Thanks, 9.3. That makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                X