A 1911 bp???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 1911 bp???

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that black powder arms are not exactly my most studied interest when it comes to all things that go bang.
    However, in the last month a shooting buddy came upon the (good?) fortune of a black powder slide for a 1911, just add your favorite lower...
    Anyone ever hear of such an animal?

GC
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Never heard of one, but probably pretty simple. My only question would be... Why?
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Plainsman View Post
      Never heard of one, but probably pretty simple. My only question would be... Why?
      Being the only kid on the block with one? Impress the girls? It looks really cool on the seat of the 58 DeSoto?

GC
      "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

A quick search shows Ed Mason to be a gunsmith in Cordova, TN. Explains a few things. To me keeping a 1911 frame healthy is difficult enough without adding corrosive combustion byproducts to the mix. But hey, if I had the tools and skills to do projects like that who knows what I’d come up with?
        Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

I can definitely understand the tinker-urge. But I will definitely not be subjecting my Gold Cup to BP residue anytime soon. I'm glad to know about it, but this is going on my No-Need-To-Ever-Have list. I laugh to try to imagine the look on JB's face if he ever saw one.
          Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Are you saying that it's a Muzzle Loading Barrel? If so there won't be much residue in the action. I have a muzzle loading barrel for my 500 Mossberg Shotgun. There's a minor bit of smoke on the bolt face that escapes around the shotgun primer but other than that nada.

Why is still the question. Maybe a die hard prepper who makes his own BP and has a 1911 as his main defensive gun. If you run out of smokeless powder you still need to eat.
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Originally posted by Plainsman View Post
              try to imagine the look on JB's face if he ever saw one.
              Now there would be picture worth having!!!

GC

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post
                Maybe a die hard prepper who makes his own BP and has a 1911 as his main defensive gun. If you run out of smokeless powder you still need to eat.
                The story that came with, said that there were at least 150 that were made over the years. Ed Mason was (now believed to be deceased) supposed to have been quite the BP enthusiast and made the first copy for his own use. So it goes that he was then requested by other like minded individuals to make some plus or minus 149 additional's.

At least that's the story that was handed down to the current caretaker of this oddity.

GC

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

So it's basically inline muzzle loader upper, for 1911 frame? Makes no less sense, than 50bmg upper, for AR.
                  I'm not sure, but it seems like 45auto could function, as black powder cartridge fairly easily. Not must worse than shooting black, in 45 colt or 38sp. I wouldn't do it with alloy frame, but steel frames, handled corrosive primers, for a great number of years.
                  Columbia Falls, MT
                  If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                  Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

Working...
                    X