45 colt bp loading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 colt bp loading

Hey guys! New to loading black powder. I recently loaded up 50 rounds using 35 grains of goex 3f powder under a Nitro wad, oxy yolk wad and overshot card. I found this to be very helpful to reduce fowling in the bore. My gun was absolutely filthy but the bore still looked good! Anyway, I knew how dirty bp is but man... after just 25 rounds my cylinder was absolutely caked in residue and the hammer had gotten pretty hard to cock. I had read that 45 colt isn’t the best choice for black powder because of the case thickness. They say 44-40 is better because it fire forms better and help keep the cylinder sealed up. Anyway, I had heard one guy say that he doesn’t resize his brass for bp loads in a revolver. Thinking about trying that out for my next batch. Have any of you ever done that? Did it make a big difference? Thanks for any input!

What are you using for lube? Anything petroleum based will cause what you described. And what's with all the wads and cards? Just curious. Started with this caliber with BP when Eisenhower was in the White House. Never used any of that stuff. Full case of FFg, 454190 lubed with beeswax and mutton tallow slightly compromised on top. That's it.

Hope you're tossing those spent cases in soapy water or other liquid like non-ammonia cleaner mix.

As to not sizing the case, I mostly use an old Ideal 310 tong tool. About the first 1/2" is sized. Then returned to proper expansion for bullet insertion with the expanding chamber, then onto powder, seating, and crimping. The remaining part of the case is untouched. In essence, only that part of the case that grips the bullet is resized.

[It's not conventional these days, but back in the late 50's, when I was taught to load, it was pretty much the norm. Now its old school and rapidly becoming a lost art. Nobody wants to learn it because it doesn't load hundreds of rounds an hour with big blue contraptions.]
    Last edited by Kit Fox; 05-12-2019, 00:34. Reason: Small detail added
    "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Im using bullets from Missouri bullet co. They came pre lubed with black powder lube. It’s not the inside of the cylinder I was referring to. The whole outside of the cylinder was absolutely caked in residue after 15-20 round. It became harder to cock the gun. I guess I was just wondering if that’s normal? Once I got home I thoroughly cleaned the gun (and the cases with soap and hot water, they’re currently in the tumbler now) and the residue all came off very easily. As far as the wads, I was told it would help keep the bore relatively clean and it did seem to do a very good job. The bore didn’t look bad at all

Comment

Kinda normal. The pistols weren't designed for extended periods of shooting. Get a squirt bottle of Fantastik and an old towel. When it starts to get nasty on the outside, spritz it a bit with the cleaner and wipe off the filth. If using a household cleaner hits you the wrong way, you can use M Pro 7 spray cleaner. It tackles carbon well. Just costs more.

Also, lube the basepin with a dry lube. Eezox is great! Just don't use a heavy grease and such. Less is more with lube on a BP weapon. I use Eezox to lube and coat all my BP weapons. A very thin coating of Eezox keeps rust at bay. Is slightly alkaline [helps with killing BP residue you miss in cleaning] and when dry, gives great lubrication, especially on the basepin. Also makes cleanup much faster by repelling carbon on the surface. It dries to the touch in an hour or so first time out. Then a simple wipe down later on is all you'll need. Leave it in the barrel and chambers. Makes for fast cleaning. If you get some Eezox, remember, don't mix it with other oils. And don't dilute it. A little goes a long way.
        In my percussion revolvers, I'll coat the chambers and nipples with Eezox. Since the solvent evaporates and leaves a dry synthetic lube coating, I've no need to bust caps to clear oil from the nipples. Eezox does not effect powder. I simply load, cap, and shoot. Saves lots of caps.

Be sure to use Qtips in cleaning the frame area of the hand. It gets bad in there and needs attention. And don't forget the cylinder bushing. Pull it from the cylinder and clean it. A .22 rod/jag will clean the inside of the bushing. A .38 jag will clean the inside of the cylinder. And ALWAYS go over all the screws with properly fitting hollow-ground screwdrivers. 15 to 20 rounds with a 45 and they'll loosen up. Keep 'em tight.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

People have become spoiled by Smokeless Powder and the ability to shoot hundreds of rounds with almost no cleanup needed.

The Holy Black just ain't that way, never has been.

I have heard that some of the other brand black powders burn cleaner than GOEX, IIRC something Swiss, might google dig but of course have to sift through all the "cleaner" substitutes.

IIRC from the internet the very popular classic old Remington was prone to just seize up tight within just a couple cylinders full. It's smaller diameter cylinder pin basically concentrated the same gunk in a smaller area than the Colt did and gunked it into inaction that much faster.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Like I said, I’m new to black powder but I really enjoy loading and shooting it. It’s a lot of fun using an old single action and creating a bunch of smoke. I just love that smell. I will definitely switch to using dry lube anytime I’m going to use bp cartridges.

Comment

You are approaching the army loading after the wimpy recruits complained about the 40-grain load which I don’t think you can even shoehorn into a modern solid head case..
              Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Eric, You might want to try some Blackhorn 209 powder from Western Powders. It doesnt corrode like BP. My son uses it and loves the stuff
                http://www.blackhorn209.com/

Comment

I've shot a lot of BP over the years. Flint rifles and fowlers, percussion rifles and revolvers, and cartridge guns as well. When it come to cartridge guns, you find out very quickly why smokeless replaced BP for that purpose!
                  "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

First cartridge I ever loaded was a 45Colt. My great uncle taught me with a plumb brown Ideal 310 loading FF black powder. Used a civil war era Colt powder flask and bullets cast from an old single cavity Ideal mould sized in a 310 sizing chamber. Since my first pistol was an old '51 Navy, all I knew was black powder. My old uncle figured smokeless powder wasn't going to last long, he never used it other that issue cartridges in the 1903 he carried in WWI. He was glad to give it back to the army.

Wasn't until 1961 or '62 I switched to smokeless in my .38Spl I got. And by then I was using a Lyman Spartan press, and felt fairly modern and up to date. But for the most part, learning to load & shoot with black powder with a 310 taught me more about reloading than one of these big multiple loading contraptions today ever could. And I don't mind the mess. For about 3 or 4 years I didn't know any different as all I shot was BP.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                    X