Vintage Cartridge ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Cartridge ID

While cleaning out some boxes of reloading goodies that I acquired through the years I came across this cartridge. The case measurements at the rim and the head match a modern 45-70 case =/- .002. The case is exactly the same length as a 45-70 modern case. There is a round nose, fairly soft, lead bullet loaded in the case. It measures .430. The case is pretty much straight tapered with a hint of a straighter neck at the top 1/3 of the case. Any thoughts on the cartridge ID or on the headstamp would be appreciated. RD

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200404_120143434_TOP.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	860711

People will forget your name, forget where they met you and forget the details of a conversation that you had, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

RD, in the .303 world - RFI means Rifle Factory Ishapore.
    Would that cartridge match .410 spec's?

nevermind, just did a quick comparison
    sorry no help here...
    Support Bacteria,for some people, thats all the culture they have.

Former Northern Territory Rifle Association, Councillor.
    National Rifle Association of Australia.

Comment

Not sure about the skinny bullet? Should be a 45/70. I believe it is berdan primed? If it had a C it would have been a carbine load.

R = Rifle

1 = January

84 = 1884

F = Frankford Arsenal
      Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

My oldest paper box.

Same cartridge but from 1874.
        Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

deaddog, That is awesome! That means the case is 136 years old! I've searched all over for the info but only got part of it. In my search i found out that the case was probably a 45-70. But there was also a brief mention that cartridge collectors can be confused by the fact that the 45-70 was used as a base case for other calibers as well as early experimenters in the (now named) "wild cat" field.

I wonder if anyone in 2156 will look at a TW 43 headstamp, short necked flat shouldered case with a .264 bullet and say what the heck is this cartridge? And someone else will say "This is a 30-06 Springfield case from WWII 1943 Twin Cities Arsenal. Not sure about the skinny bullet." RD
          People will forget your name, forget where they met you and forget the details of a conversation that you had, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Comment

You have a nice collector piece there.

In 2156 they will be too involved with Covid 759 to worry about wildcats...

You had an easy one. Try deciphering some Turkish Cyrillic/Latin stuff.
            Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
              You have a nice collector piece there.

In 2156 they will be too involved with Covid 759 to worry about wildcats...

You had an easy one. Try deciphering some Turkish Cyrillic/Latin stuff.
              I'd guess, and only a guess, 8mm Hungarian?

Comment

Working...
              X