Clueless in Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless in Wisconsin

A friend just called and said he recently ran into another friend who, as I understand, is the executor of an estate. He has a gun that he is trying to determine the value of.
    He has some of the details, but some basic things he can't readily determine. Here is the info he has so far. He's hoping his daughter will be able to figure out how to send me photos to post. My friend is not computer literate....and doesn't care to be My friend is very modern gun knowledgeable, but not so with old guns.
    1) It is a 1863 gun
    2)weight 11.5 lbs
    3)maybe a trapdoor gun? maybe a muzzle loader?
    4)not sure of caliber
    5)Thinks it might be a Springfield gun
    Here comes the interesting part:
    4)held in the same family since it was issued by the secretary of war with original parchment documentation
    5)supposedly documented to only have been shot 3 times
    6)has an 18" bayonet with a leather case
    7)receiver has two eagles on the receiver
    8)numbers on all parts match
    Anybody want to start to guess until I can hopefully get photos to post?
    Proud to be a NRA member!
    Retired Extremely Dangerous

Sounds like a Springfield rifled musket. Definitely not a 'trap door' in 1863. Probably the standard Union army issue during the War of Northern Aggression. Not sure what that 'documentation' would be but could be valuable. Photos could help.
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I did receive 4 photos. He said he has 2 more yet to send me. I'm not sure how to post them as the two photo sharing places I used to use are no longer available to me.
      Not sure about the documentation either. Just something about when the gun was issued by the then secretary of war.

Comment

This look like it?
        https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868330000
        -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
        -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Does sound like an 1863 Springfield rifled musket, in 58 caliber.
          "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

You can post pics directly from your ‘puter.
            Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

BTW, best pics would be... full length, CU of lockplate, CU of rear sight, overall of bayonet and scabbard.

When soldiers were issued their weapons they did not get a certificate from the Sect’y of War. That ‘document’ is kinda interesting.

Comment

ghrit, I don't want to insult anyone, but the truth is I have so little knowledge and such an uncritical eye with regard to antique weapons that I could place them side by side in person and likely not be able to ascertain differences/likenesses.

Plainsman, I can only post whatever type pictures my friend is able to email me. Does the forum have a sticky somewhere saying how to post pictures from ones computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldrockchucker View Post
                  ghrit, I don't want to insult anyone, but the truth is I have so little knowledge and such an uncritical eye with regard to antique weapons that I could place them side by side in person and likely not be able to ascertain differences/likenesses.

Plainsman, I can only post whatever type pictures my friend is able to email me. Does the forum have a sticky somewhere saying how to post pictures from ones computer?
                  No worries, was thinking you had a pic already that might be a comparable.

In the upper right corner of your draft post, you should see what looks like a sheet of paper with a paper clip in it. If all goes according to plan, you open and clik on the pic you want to upload from your computer, then clik on that icon, and something useful MIGHT happen. (I ain't exactly a pro at this business either.)
                  -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
                  -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Try clicking on the ‘paper clip’ first, then follow the prompts to go to your computer and upload the file you want us to see. JPGs will transfer best.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2225.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	868210Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2224.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	868211Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2230.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	868212 Man this is frustrating....tryin to upload attachments. Tried large first, but everyone would have hated me while they loaded so trying small. Mods don't hesitate to delete this post if it causes trouble.. At least it's somewhat of a learning experience for me. ghrit and Plainsman's suggestions are not working at all for me. Clicking on the "Upload Attachments" button at bottom of my screen seeeeeems to work. We'll see. Doesn't help that I have a molasses speed internet. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2231.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	868209
                      Poor quality (probably useless) photos in my opinion, but I can only post what I'm sent by my friend. He said he has two more to send, I'll see if I think they might be worth posting before I waste my and everyone else's time.

Comment

I suspect that what we are looking at is either an 1861 or 1863 U. S. Springfield Rifled Musket. Positive ID wold depend on either better pictures or, preferably, a hands-on examination by someone who knows those guns. The condition of the gun looks very good, and its value is not insignificant but is not going to make anyone rich UNLESS its provenance is unusual and can be proved. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help and input. It seems my friend is unable to send the last 2 photos. If they are as poor quality as the 4 I posted, that's o.k. If nothing else I learned a little about posting photos here...for future reference.

Comment

Oldrockchucker, Very nice looking old rifle. Too bad rifles can't talk about their history. But I'm sure that what more than a few would tell us tails that we wouldn't want to hear. RD
                            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Working...
                            X