Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

5lb rotometal packs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got to make some #2 bullets with my roto pak . With my 10lb pot I mixed 1 1/4 lbs roto to 4 1/4 lbs fluxed/clean pipe lead at a time. I had to flux the melt a coupla times. Pea sized chunks kept forming on top of the melt. Maybe the antimony? Maybe dirty roto? The lead? I don't know, but it was an enjoyable time.

Comment

again.. all my lead is of unknown alloy.. people give me all sorts of lead.. this obviously is 'inexpensive' I water drop all my bullets and have never checked hardness other than to scratch a bullet and they seem...................hard.........Having said all that.. I have been coating all my cast bullets. Hi-Tek is my preferred coat at this point.. and.. as I said my interest is in handguns and carbines for handgun calibers.., this is below 2k fps.. sometimes close. No leading.. easy clean up... no smoke (yep) and colors as fun as skittles.

Soooo.. for me... under 2k since that is all I know.. cast and water dropped with any alloy I can get for free.. and then coated with powder coat or HT is the answer.

In this admittedly narrow range... I have not found any scrap lead and coated bullet that did not shoot at least as well as a plain cast/lube bullet and none of em have leaded bores in the least.. as a lazy man.. this is perfect for me. As someone who is into handgun accuracy this is perfect for me.

I shoot a 44 mag lever gun and a 9mm carbine and they give excellent results. that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject

lazs

Comment

I've been checking Goodwill Lazs. For the toaster oven. Gotta try the PC and HT.

Comment

LOl bojac.. I bet you pay as much for one at Goodwill as you would at wallyworld.. I think I paid $25 for mine. seems to work fine with one caveat.... Mine ran hot. It is a black and decker cheapo with a dial with the temps on it. At 400 degrees (which is what I wanted or a tad less) the thing was really 450+ So keep that in mind. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong until I got the temp dialed in. just a mistake I made that is easily fixed... now I turn the dial down to something like a smidgeon below 400 and it works great.

For me at this point.. HT is kinda easier with somewhat better results. In that.. the coating is more even and easier to get on the bullet as it is powder mixed in acetone. it does require waiting time for drying and two coats but they are only 10 minutes in the oven each and you can have an assembly line going LOL... The other thing... for good or bad depending on what you are trying to do... HT adds almost nothing to the diameter of the bullet which makes sizing a tad easier or no sizing at all if that works... PC will add a few thou... This can be a good thing or a bad thing... if you need the couple thou.. well... it's a good thing... if not it can be a bad thing as it makes sizing em harder...

Size after coating in any case. I use the Lee push through sizers. I did not own a one till I started coating bullets... Since they push through from the base they need no top punch and they cost around $20 or so each. Also.. not being carbide (far from it) they can be reamed out with a dowel and a drill and sandpaper. I have done it to several that sized bullets too much for what I needed.

Soo... bottom line? to try HT say... for one caliber.. it would cost about $100 for the oven and HT powder and acetone and the Lee sizer. Every caliber after that would only cost another $20 or so for the sizer. I have not figured out the cost of coating each bullet but is it fractions of a penny for sure.

lazs

Comment

Working...
          X