information on a Ideal *bullet mold *357446

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• information on a Ideal *bullet mold *357446

good evening , I am in search of information on a Ideal bullet mold 357446 , I was given this old mold by a retiring shooter ,
    he told me that the top two grooves are crimping grooves , the top to use with .357 brass & the lower one for using .38 special
    brass , can someone please tell me more about my mold and how to use it .

many thanks, satan

I've never used one, my favorite 358 SWC is a SAECO 296382. From what research I've done, the 357466 is not a plinking bullet, and needs to be pushed at least in the 950-1000 FPS range and above for accuracy.
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I always used the top groove with 38’s. Have to say I’ve never loaded this one to .357 velocities.
        3.5 gr Bullseye is my go to load.
        Last edited by deaddog; 04-03-2018, 07:59.
        Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Looks like the 358156 without a gascheck.
          I load 358156 upwards of 1700fps for my Henry rifle as well as my GP100. Your mold doesn't have gascheck, so would be suited to the lower velocities I would think, maybe below 1500fps MV.
          Mine is very accurate, and I have taken a deer with one.

Charley is an authority in this area, so I would believe what he says. What are you shooting it in?
          Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
          He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

They don't like to feed in my 73 Winchester/Uberti.
            Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
              They don't like to feed in my 73 Winchester/Uberti.
              Interesting. I haven't had that problem with the Henry. Have you tried changing your OAL?

Comment

The 357446 is a 162gr.

I have a Lee micro groove 158 SWC that doesn't cycle well either in the 73. That one I have messed with the OAL. The 357446 I have is just a single hole so I rarely use it. The 73 likes the 358311 and a Lee 158 round nose much better.
                Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

To use it you pour hot lead into it.

I've only really loaded it on .38 spl.
                  Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by satan View Post
                    good evening , I am in search of information on a Ideal bullet mold 357446 , I was given this old mold by a retiring shooter ,
                    he told me that the top two grooves are crimping grooves , the top to use with .357 brass & the lower one for using .38 special
                    brass , can someone please tell me more about my mold and how to use it .

many thanks, satan
                    Try reading this first:
                    https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/...llet_molds.pdf

then go here for everything you can imagine about lead bullets and then some:
                    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

Comment

This bullet was designed especially for the .357Mag in the late 30's. S&W countered chamber made loading the Keith SWC a chore as the bullet was too long to be seated in the crimping groove. The 358429 was a .38Spl bullet. Thus ideal(Lyman) designed the 357446 bullet to eliminate heavy leading, the too long bullet issues, and provide an accurate and reliable plain base bullet for the then new magnum pistols.

It has two lube grooves and a single well beveled crimping groove. Not two crimping grooves. The base is quite thick and give a good showing of itself when pushed to magnum velocities. John Goins/akabegal wrote an article about it Some time ago, and in it, he made the statement that it performs poorly at lower velocity and must be driven hard to see any accuracy. I have cast and shot this bullet for decades and found this statement to be incorrect with over a dozen different pistols.

If you look at the side by side [may be huge on a computer screen] you'll see the thicker base on the 357446 compared to the 358429. This is a well balanced and stable bullet in both handgun and carbine. It feeds well in my Rossi M92 levergun and is excellent as well as accuracy is concerned. The bullet, in revolvers I've hunted with has downed deer, hog, coyote, an evil Doberman, snakes and other varmints. Holds together and had good penetration. With today's alloy they come in at 162gr. average.

In a .357 case with a healthy dose of Blue Dot, its plenty fast, accurate, and lethal. From a .38Spl, a mild load of Bullseye puts rounds so close you'd think they were full wadcutter target loads. Now I have over a dozen or more moulds for those two calibers, but when I really want top performance in the 357Mag the 357446 answers the call everytime.

Listed in Ideal handbooks from the 30's up to the late 50's, its last appearance was in the Lyman #45 in the .38Spl category. The mould was discontinued around the mid to late 60's if I remember correctly. They're still seen on eBay now and then. This bullet has lots of bearing surface available and as stated, fares well in 18 3/4" Smith bores or 30:1 Rossi carbines with equal accuracy. If you ever find one at a decent price snatch it up and try it. Might surprise ya.
                      Last edited by Kit Fox; 1 week ago. Reason: Spelling
                      A tee shirt read:
                      The U.S. Army.
                      Because even Marines need heroes.

Comment

I j just sold one on EBay, Not the most popular design out there. Took over 2 months to sell, and price was only $40. As I mentioned, I much prefer the SAECO.
                        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I agree with Kit Fox, in fact he gave one of these 2 hole Ideal moulds. I have to run my melt a little hotter to fill out all of the shoulders on the bullet, probably needs a little extra tin in the mix. I have to pay a little more attention when casting with this mould to get good bullets, but hey, what else does old casters have to do?
                          Rex

Comment

Was raining here yesterday. Great time to cast. And as Rex said, ya gotta run em hot to get clear lines. But I cast about 300 yesterday with a soft alloy. Tried my luck with an aluminum mould in another caliber, but lost my temper with it and it went flying out into the woods. My woods are full of aluminum moulds and scopes.

Went back to my old Ideal irons and cast some of the prettiest SWC's around. This 357446 may not be popular today, but back a few decades it sure was. And I'm not one to give up on something that works well in the name of fashion.
                            A tee shirt read:
                            The U.S. Army.
                            Because even Marines need heroes.

Comment

Working...
                            X