cast bullets/ powder coat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast bullets/ powder coat

hey guys , so this is where I am at , I have bullets poured , powder coat on hand, oven , sizers for after the fact , and now I would like to ask you fellas what your preferred method of powder coating is , I have seen a few different methods on youtube , but I am going to ask the guys that I feel would give me the facts and what works for you guys . the first bullets I ever poured was last weekend and I was pretty impressed , no runs, no wrinkles and no frosting , knew it was to good to be true , as I went out today to cast a few more and the element on my small hand pour pot went up . that's what you get when you walk out of the shop kinda full of yourself on doing such a fine job , [Damn Karma]. this casting thing isn't anywhere near as addicting as loading / reloading - I only bought a new 20 lb. pot , 3 new moulds , 4 sizers , a lb. of tin and a 100 lbs. of lead . scrounged up another 80-90 lbs. of lead , I am glad I only spent an hour at it the first go around casting . If you would fellas , let me know what works for you . THANKS .

Black airsoft BB, #5 plastic container.

Shake, rattle & roll for about 20 seconds. Go to Rosey's powder coating and buy a pound of astatic red and a pound of ink black. You'll thank me later.
    Semper Fi!

Comment

Sturgeon, do you mix the 2 powders together?

Comment

Black airlift BB and plastic container here also, Cool whip to be exact. Swirl and shake then pick them out and place base down on a well seasoned pan and into toaster oven . I have no problem of them sticking to the pan but it is literally black with carbon. Quick and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by pawpaw757 View Post
          Sturgeon, do you mix the 2 powders together?
          You can, but there's no reason to. Those are the best black and best bright red I've found.

To prevent sticking use parchment paper, available in the baking aisle or cake decorating aisle at your local Walmart. One piece of parchment paper can be used multiple times.
          Semper Fi!

Comment

Thanks Sturgeon. I usually add a little black in with the red just to be different!

Comment

Devils advocate here.. I have found that the higher quality PC works best.. certain colors work best.. Eastwood and Powder by the pound work good. Harbor freight? sorta... PC adds dimension to the bullet.. no getting around that. you need to size and sometimes that is not easy.. Hi-Tek adds almost nothing to dia and are always easy to size. which.. may or may not be a factor. PC is not as 'foolproof' as HT in my opinion.. the better powders will coat better in the shake and bake situation.. HT? it always coats good. It also is a bit more dangerous with acetone and all..

Mixing.. the best powder coat so far for me is Eastwood blue.. Ford color.. easy in that it coats with just a shake or 20 and no bb stuff.. I don't like the color. nothing to do with performance.. just kinda.. well.. unbullet like? I have a lot of PC colors and simply stopped worrying about keeping em separate with different shake and bake containers etc.. mostly I ended up with a nice dark earth green color which is to me.. nice. I have some glossy PC colors but no better performers.

HT... This is kinda where I am at now. For handguns at least.. But.. I bought a bunch of the red copper powder at first and while it worked good.. It looked like lipstick to me. I bought gold.. I bought black.. I bought green.. I ended up just kinda mixing to taste.. What I end up with is a dark root beer brown that I like. I would not suggest the black by itself. for me it is dull and seems off.. the Kroptonite green is nice as is.. some like the gold. I mix 8oz of the HT stuff and can't cast enough bullets to use it up in a timely manner.. not that I have seen a mix go 'bad' but if setting too long you might have to add more acetone.

lazs

Comment

Oh.. with HT.. the color can vary more than with PC.. meaning that if you bake PC it always comes out the same color.. with HT.. if you bake it for a little longer it tends to darken some.

lazs

Comment

so this is my first attempt at powder coating bullets , I used some Pro-Tech powder that I had left over from my jig making days and thought I would give it a try , I feel they came out pretty fair , The shake and bake method is a different method than I am used to but all in all seems to work very well . and before you ask - momma needs bullets too.

Comment

Looks like fun your going to get me started casting again with those pics, the weather man is talking about 50s this next weekend.

Some of those bullets i sent you were from my first time casting, They wern't perfect and really old.
                    I have a couple old steel moulds it takes a little more work to get them up to temperature, my brass moulds from old West bullet moulds throw bullets perfect every time when I'm doing my part.
                    Last edited by Randy C; 04-16-2018, 06:43.

Comment

I was actually going to put some of those bullets in some degreaser just to make sure and powder some of the ones you sent me . ,and a big thanks for them also .

Comment

Originally posted by hooterville View Post
                        so this is my first attempt at powder coating bullets , I used some Pro-Tech powder that I had left over from my jig making days and thought I would give it a try , I feel they came out pretty fair , The shake and bake method is a different method than I am used to but all in all seems to work very well . and before you ask - momma needs bullets too.
                        That's pretty interesting about the pro-tech powder. Did you use air soft BB's for coating? I've got several jars just taking up space. Glow in the dark bullets anyone?
                        Someday someone may kill me with my own gun, but they\'ll have to beat me to death with it because its empty.

Comment

riverrambler , I did use the airsoft BB's on 1 batch and I personally did not see a difference , But again , being my first time at this , I guess I don't know what the difference would be . funny you wrote " glow in the dark bullets anyone " as I had that same can in my hand this morning , thinking - Hmmm ! a bright light for a few seconds and - Tracers anyone .

Comment

They look pretty good to me. If you feel they are a little difficult to size I put a handful in a plastic bag and give them a spritz with my 10 to 1 mix of alcohol and liquid lanolin and shake around. Let alcohol evaporate and they run through slick.

Comment

I think they look really good. They look at least as good as the ones I do. I also just shake and bake with no BB's. A little bare spot here or there does not hurt anything. Sizing can be a bit tough with some bullets/powders. That is sorta why I have gotten more into HT coating... it adds almost nothing to the dia so the bullets size very easily.

lazs

Comment

Working...
                              X