45 Colt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Colt

Been playing with a low presser load 14'000 PSI or lower, using RimRock SWC 255gr. plain base and gas checked it's the Lyman, have some old stock of SR7625 to burn up, settled on 7.5 grs., just easy plinking load. souting the case a bit, but it just what I was looking for, was going to set up the Chony but the wind came up, almost blow the spotting scope over so. So ended any rifle or Chony work. But it was range time I needed.
    Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

That low and that slow you probably don't even need the gas check I only use those on my Magnum loads. I never have any leading with 45 Colt.
    Just a wild guess but I think you'd be somewhere around 700-775 feet per second (depending on the gun you use) my guess would be for a 7 1/2 inch barrel.
    Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

WM A 5.5 Ruger BH Biesly use the gas checks just to clean out everything, but I think your right low and slow , was going to set up the Chony but that wind came up.
      Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgement of users of this data, neither the writer, Handloadersbench.com, nor the staff of Handloadersbench.com assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't try, for your own safety and the safety of others.

You could use this as a starting point ? As in work your load up

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data...%5B%5D=SR+7625

BULLET WEIGHT250 GR. CAST LRNFP

Starting Loads 7.0
        Maximum Loads 8.2
        Manufacturer IMR
        Powder SR 7625
        Bullet Diam. .452"
        C.O.L. 1.600"
        Vel. (ft/s) 768/890
        Pressure 9,600 PSI/13,000 PSI

Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

Yep your sport on, that's where I got the date from, first run was were 8.0 grs felt it was a bit much, so the next was 7.5 with both styles of bullets, going to ran it thru the 94 Trapper next .

Comment

Only time I've used a gas check was in rifles at more than 1500 fps.
            All you need is a plain base lead bullet at about 10BHN.
            Lead bullets for revolvers need to be a snug fit in the cylinder's throats and at least 0.001" larger than measured groove diameter. Harder bullets often need to be just a bit larger or coated in LLA, 45/45/10, or powder coated. HARD, in my experience, is more likely to lead than a softer alloy that can obturate to seal the bore.

Comment

I use them @ both low and high they scrape out any lead left just ran a cylinder or two down them and cleaning a snap. Same for the lever guns,

Comment

Originally posted by noylj View Post
                Only time I've used a gas check was in rifles at more than 1500 fps.
                All you need is a plain base lead bullet at about 10BHN.
                Lead bullets for revolvers need to be a snug fit in the cylinder's throats and at least 0.001" larger than measured groove diameter. Harder bullets often need to be just a bit larger or coated in LLA, 45/45/10, or powder coated. HARD, in my experience, is more likely to lead than a softer alloy that can obturate to seal the bore.
                I agree. Even my 44 Mags that are used in handguns are plain based ( Lyman's 429 421). I use gas checked bullets only in my 44 Mag carbine.
                "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I like 7625, sure does meter well. It's a shame they stopped making it, but I still have some left.

For easy .45 Colt loads, Red Dot worked real well for me. Lately I've been using 700X for such loads and it's doing OK too.

Comment

I still prefer a casefull of FF black powder under bullets of choice, but for that newer stuff.....

My most smooth smokeless powder load in a 45 Colt has got to be 6.2gr of TiteGroup with an old Ideal 454190 255gr RNFP with available primers and case. From my "Good" Colt open top Early Model, its ├╝ber accurate. I'm not going to comment however, on my other, "the bad" 45 SAA. That's the one I cuss at!
                    "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Yes sirs like them cast bullets.

Comment

Working...
                      X