What caused this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What caused this?

Click image for larger version  Name:	88224D68-12C8-460E-8C5C-0FF522916895.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	22.5 KB ID:	842442 The wandering wadcutter thread jogged my memory on these recovered bullets. I have kept them since the mid 1970’s. The pic is an example of the range of deformities I was seeing. In fact many looked like the hour glass figure of the second from the top. Never could figure this phenomenon out.
    Last edited by deaddog; 07-26-2019, 23:22.
    Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Maybe the seating die couldnt get past that last lip, and it stretched the lead.....? Is it soft lead or harder?
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

I would say they are a normal alloy. Not pure lead and not wheel weights.

They looked normal. No unusually tight crimp.

Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

WAG, with the lack of rifling marks and absence of lube grooves, it looks like undersized bullet, either by throat or just started too small. Are they hollow based or solid base? I can see remnants of knurling, on bottom two, so they must of been outside lubed.
        Columbia Falls, MT
        If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
        Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

HBWCs pushed a tad too hard?
          Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I have been working with cast bullet for close to 65 years now and I have never seen bullets deformed in that manner. Anything I say is just a theory on my part. One, the bullets may have been too small for the bore of the firearm and gas cutting probably blew away and rifling marks on the bullet. One bullet still shows a bit of knurling which leads me to believe they are very soft factory swaged bullets. The deep smooth groove running across the bullets seem to be heat related but by what means escapes me. I believe the bullets are semi-wadcutters rather than wad cutters as well, although the nose is much shorter than most bullets in SWC configuration. The only other thing I can say is you guess is probably as good as mine. .
            Paul B.

Comment

Yep. I agree with Paul. SWCs and not WCs, probably.
              Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Yes SWC

They have shallow rifling marks.

Where they are getting skinny appears to be a lube grove and I can see the remnants of one more groove. I also see that knurling on a few of them.

The bases have a slight dish nowhere near a hollow base.

Nothing scientific but I cut one with a side cutter then a pure lead muzzle loader bullet of the same caliber. The known pure lead was way softer.

As I mentioned. At the time I found quite a few with the hour glass shape.

Them being undersized is starting to make sense. It is difficult to get a reading on them, many showed .352"
                Last edited by deaddog; 07-27-2019, 16:31.
                Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Well, never seen nuttin' like that. What do they weigh? 38 caliber? The knurl looks like what many swaged bullets have. A groove in that position is normally a crimp groove. Do you know hat gun they were used in? Yep, just a WAG...
                  I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

I weighed the 4 in the pic. 151-156gr so 158's to start I assume. Most likely out of a Model 10? Can't quite remember, almost 45 years ago.
                    Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Working...
                    X