Rilfe cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rilfe cast

So started on the rifles first one up is a vintage 70's Win. 94 30/30, the Lee flanneling die works great lost one case out of the 40 of the range pick up brass, due to me I should have rotated it instead of just sheaving it in folded one side. Was bent from being stepped on, flared the case just enough to get the gas check started all the way,chimp in the grove, went with H4198, Rem. 9.5 cap, and a .5 grain tuff of Dacron to keep the powder change level in the case, going for 1600-1700 FPS 20,21,22 grains. Mid range. They came out nice. The .375, 70's Mod 70 SE was the same but going for 2250 fps, 38,39,40 grs of the H4198 Rem. 9.5 cap, R-P case .5 grain tuff of Dacron, and the powder change only fills the case about a 1/3, may have to do a full .1 grain of the Dacron, but test the first run. the 32WS is next but need some case. Vintage 94 1939 32 WS bore is super clean carried more then it was shot. Range report will follow. Was fun putting them together.
    Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Well, I have no bloody idea what a "flanneling" die is and I've never "chimped" a bullet in the "grove", but I do have 60+ years experience with cast bullets in rifle and handgun. Always willing to learn though.

Seriously though I'm sure you meant a full length sizing die, crimping in the groove but I thought it was funny. It would have been interesting to know what bullet you were using in both cartridges as I load cast for both as well. My .375 load might be a bit more stout than yours though. A 270 gr. bullet over 65.0 gr. of IMR 4350 for a velocity of about 2250 FPS. No filler needed. Accuracy from a Ruger #1H runs 2.0" on average. Recoil is about light a stiff 30-06 load.

What little I've done with the 30-30 lately has been with gallery loads. Light bullets in the 110 to 120 gr. range over light loads like 5.0 to 10.0 gr. of Unique and use a quarter square of toilet paper tamped lightly over the powder. The shorter bullet will not feed from the magazine in a Winchester 94 and sometimes not in the Marlin. The 120 gr. has fed nicely for me so far. When I hunted with the 30-30 I used a 175 gr. bullet over enough IMR 3031 to give a velocity of 1950 to 2000 FPS. The load killed deer very nicely.
    Paul B.

Comment

I'd say his idiot phone self corrected on the "flannelling" die as well as the "chimp" groove. One of the reasons I hate posting with my phone! The alleged self correcting feature doesn't correct very often.
      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Originally posted by mtman714 View Post
        So started on the rifles first one up is a vintage 70's Win. 94 30/30, the Lee flanneling flaring die works great lost one case out of the 40 of the range pick up brass, due to me I should have rotated it instead of just sheaving shoving it in folded one side. Was bent from being stepped on, flared the case just enough to get the gas check started all the way,chimp crimp in the grove groove, went with H4198, Rem. 9.5 cap, and a .5 grain tuff of Dacron to keep the powder change level in the case, going for 1600-1700 FPS 20,21,22 grains. Mid range. They came out nice. The .375, 70's Mod 70 SE was the same but going for 2250 fps, 38,39,40 grs of the H4198 Rem. 9.5 cap, R-P case .5 grain tuff of Dacron, and the powder change only fills the case about a 1/3, may have to do a full .1 grain of the Dacron, but test the first run. the 32WS is next but need some case. Vintage 94 1939 32 WS bore is super clean carried more then it was shot. Range report will follow. Was fun putting them together.
        I agree with Charley either auto correct on phone or computer. I've read enough of mtman714s post to figure out what he meant. I just posted the words in red. No big deal. It's really a nice cast bullet report.

mtman, You know you can just run 30-30 cases into the .32 Special Full Length forming die to make .32 Special cases. I spray paint the case heads black. Even if the black wears off over time, the letters still show up black. Saves on accidently putting a .32WS in the 30-30 tube and jamming up the gun. RD

Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Ya and its a new phone to boot, the daughter who sleeps with hers said I needed to up date, miss the old one. RD didn't have enough 30/30 to convert, so pick up a new bag today of 32 WS 50ct., going to run the same as the 30/30.

PS Thanks for the edit.
          Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Paul the current load in the .375 is R15 73.5 R-P case, FED 215, Hornady 270gr SP interlock , I haven't ran it over the clock but puts 3 @ MOA, but a little stout for plinking, guessing I'll say 2650 FPS. So this are just tin can shooters in the 94's I'll see if I can get the cast bullet to land where the SP lands without any adjustments. Take it on some deer hikes.
            Last edited by mtman714; 08-13-2019, 21:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
              I'd say his idiot phone self corrected on the "flannelling" die as well as the "chimp" groove. One of the reasons I hate posting with my phone! The alleged self correcting feature doesn't correct very often.
              I was able to disable the auto correct on my computer but it will still flag what it considered misspelled words or incorrect words. It's up to me whether I fix or change the word(s).
              Paul B.

Comment

Originally posted by mtman714 View Post
                Paul the current load in the .375 is R15 73.5 R-P case, FED 215, Hornady 270gr SP interlock , I haven't ran it over the clock but puts 3 @ MOA, but a little stout for plinking, guessing I'll say 2650 FPS. So this are just tin can shooters in the 94's I'll see if I can get the cast bullet to land where the SP lands without any adjustments. Take it on some deer hikes.
                I the load I posted was from an American Rifleman article, "Cast Bullets in Africa". That load plus one other with a heavier bullet was used to do an African big game hunt. I've just used it once in a while to kill pieced of paper with 2" black squares on them and occasionally massacre a jack rabbit or two..
                Paul B.

Comment

Sounds good, I'll see if I can get out this week end.

Comment

Working...
                  X