158gr LCSWC with no GC out of 357MAG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 158gr LCSWC with no GC out of 357MAG

So Kay, I bought a bunch of 158gr lead SWC for 357Mag. They do not have gas checks. The LCSWC I cast all have gas checks and shoot just like 158gr XTP's with the same load of H110.
    I'm loading the non-GC boolits with A2400 at about 1150-1250fps and they aren't grouping under about 3-4" at 50yds.

Any ideas what I should do? Plinkers at 1100fps and be done with it? Plan to use them in Henry and GP100.
    It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

A longtime favorite of the oldtimers (myself includedl) is the Ideal/Lyman 357446 162gr swc with 6gr Unique in a magnum case. From my 4" Mod28 its knocking at the 1150 fps speeds. From my M92 levergun's 20" octagonal barrel is zipping them out there really fast.
    158gr swc with the same load is also pretty stable and accurate. Punches porkers pretty good. Only needed a second shot on a hog once. He turned and was hit in the rump. The second shot double lunged 'em, and drug his damaged derriere about 10 feet before lying down to go to hog heaven. It's about a 22,00p psi load. Easy on brass too.

Note: The above loads are from published data circa 1950. They were tested and used in that era, and were considered to be safe at that time. I have used the 6gr Unique in a magnum case for decades and found it to be a safe and reliable load in my own weapons.
    "There's not a problem I can't resolve with a good lefthook or a slug from a .45."

Kit Fox. aka; the Angry Ranger.

Comment

You might try a faster powder that has data published which will meet your velocity requirements. Your upper end loads will be possibly 200 to 400 fps faster in your henry. I recently came into a 2007 production 1894C Marlin. Last year before Remlin. Have a pile of components but havent loaded much yet. Skinner ghost ring and fiber optic front Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_224402.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	872500
      I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Thanks wheezengeezer I have some 700X I was thinking of using at around 1050fps
        It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Comment

Have you slugged the barrel and measured the bullet diameter? Too small gas checked bullets can be accurate, but small non-checked bullets often lead the barrel and are/or not accurate...
          I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

Are these bullets lubed or powder coated? If lubed what does the lube look like? You can probably push those bullets faster in your rifle if the lube is up to it. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has 158 Gr. plain base RNFP .357 rifle data at 1704 FPS using 2400. RD
            Last edited by Rockydog; 08-09-2020, 10:52.
            People will forget your name, forget where they met you and forget the details of a conversation that you had, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Rockydog They are lubed, blue stuff, fairly hard.

Maybe I should just load them like I do my own LCSWC and see how they handle that (+/-1700fps)

Comment

OY I use them out of two different pistol, S&W 66 2.5, Ruger Black Hawk 4 3/4, new run 1873 Winchester 20" I've been liking the mid range 158 LSWGC, and the Devastator HP in the same weight all from Rim Rock, 10 grains of # AA 7, works well shoots good out of all three, easy on the hand and guns.
                Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks all; I'll be trying out some of these ideas.

Comment

Yeller, one of the bullets I run from a .357 mag is the Lyman 358477, 150 gr. plain based SWC over 14.0 gr. of 2400. Never had a problem with leading even though it was plain based. Bullet was sized at .359"
                    Paul B.

Comment

Paul B thank you. I 'm thinking of jacking them up a little. Currently at 12.5 of 2400.

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgement of users of this data, neither the writer, Handloadersbench.com, nor the staff of Handloadersbench.com assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't try, for your own safety and the safety of others.

Comment

Previous over of my Marlin has only fed it cast bullets pushed by a near max dose of 2400 since it was new.
                        I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Working...
                        X