Hornady XTP Bullseye powder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here Robert.

Every load I use an XTP atop is a "full-house" load, self-defense ammo, not target ammo., casefulls of much slower powders.

In the little .380acp, I use Red Dot, actually faster than Bullseye
    On a relative burn rate chart,,, Red Dot is #8, Bullseye is #13, but .380 is a darned small case and it is a low-pressure loading.

9mmP however is full of Vhitavouri N340 #37
    .45 Auto is filled with Vectan SP-2 (or VV-3N38) #49 (3N38 is Vhitavouri's version of Dynamit Nobell's SP2)
    If I was loading .357 with these............... I'd likely be running H11/W296 (#63/64), Accurate 1680 (#69), or others in that area
    If I was loading them for .38 Special use,,, it's probably be Power Pistol (#33) or something similar like Universal (#32)

I very much like the bullet, but it's a mighty spendy way to make holes in paper............................................. .........

Comment

I agree that XTP's are a bit spendy for target / range use, so what I use is bulk jacketed bullets. MG's, RMR and some others can be found at very good prices. This way I can basically shoot the same full house loads I carry, but with much less expensive bullets, .06 - .07 each verses .18 - .20 a piece.

I totally agree with Robert regarding powders. I'm not much of a fast burn powder type of guy, even when loading 38 spcl, I prefer powders such as HS6, Longshot and those which fall into the slow-ish side as per the cartridge.

And for magnum stuff 2400 or H110/296 get my vote, I won't use a fast burner for any magnum cartridge, don't like the pressure issues when working up into max territory.

HBC

Comment

you have to use Hornady data for the XTP bullet in the 9mm.
        it seats lower in the case and using data for a speer or sierra will produce PROOF load pressures at the same OAL.

Comment

Among others, I've been using Sierra and Speer data with XTP's for, well,for as long as XTP's have been around. But I develop loads at a determined oal, never just jump into a max load without first doing some development, and I never shorten the oal without re-working the charge either.

The only XTP that I've noticed seats deeper into the case is the 147 gr., but it's a boat tail, which is why it takes up more seated space.

HBC

Comment

Working...
          X