Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

Hornady XTP Bullseye powder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nomes
    started a topic Hornady XTP Bullseye powder

Hornady XTP Bullseye powder

Can someone give me the Bullseye powder load for 158gr XTP, 124gr XTP for a Ruger?
    Also 124gr for a 9mm auto?
    Thanks

• HighBC
    replied
    Among others, I've been using Sierra and Speer data with XTP's for, well,for as long as XTP's have been around. But I develop loads at a determined oal, never just jump into a max load without first doing some development, and I never shorten the oal without re-working the charge either.

The only XTP that I've noticed seats deeper into the case is the 147 gr., but it's a boat tail, which is why it takes up more seated space.

HBC

Leave a comment:

• runfiverun
    replied
    you have to use Hornady data for the XTP bullet in the 9mm.
    it seats lower in the case and using data for a speer or sierra will produce PROOF load pressures at the same OAL.

Leave a comment:

• HighBC
    replied
    I agree that XTP's are a bit spendy for target / range use, so what I use is bulk jacketed bullets. MG's, RMR and some others can be found at very good prices. This way I can basically shoot the same full house loads I carry, but with much less expensive bullets, .06 - .07 each verses .18 - .20 a piece.

I totally agree with Robert regarding powders. I'm not much of a fast burn powder type of guy, even when loading 38 spcl, I prefer powders such as HS6, Longshot and those which fall into the slow-ish side as per the cartridge.

And for magnum stuff 2400 or H110/296 get my vote, I won't use a fast burner for any magnum cartridge, don't like the pressure issues when working up into max territory.

HBC

Leave a comment:

• Damannoyed
    replied
    Same here Robert.

Every load I use an XTP atop is a "full-house" load, self-defense ammo, not target ammo., casefulls of much slower powders.

In the little .380acp, I use Red Dot, actually faster than Bullseye
    On a relative burn rate chart,,, Red Dot is #8, Bullseye is #13, but .380 is a darned small case and it is a low-pressure loading.

9mmP however is full of Vhitavouri N340 #37
    .45 Auto is filled with Vectan SP-2 (or VV-3N38) #49 (3N38 is Vhitavouri's version of Dynamit Nobell's SP2)
    If I was loading .357 with these............... I'd likely be running H11/W296 (#63/64), Accurate 1680 (#69), or others in that area
    If I was loading them for .38 Special use,,, it's probably be Power Pistol (#33) or something similar like Universal (#32)

I very much like the bullet, but it's a mighty spendy way to make holes in paper............................................. .........

Leave a comment:

• olyeller
    replied
    Originally posted by RobertMT View Post
    Nobody else has brought it up, so here goes.

In 357, Bullseye and other fast powders are better suited for target loads, than full house hunting or defensive loads. For full house loads slower powder, gives you, in most cases, higher speed, at a more gradual pressure curve. Powders like 2400 and H110 will give you several hundred FPS, at a safe pressure, over fast powder, if that's what you're looking for. 2400 has a wider useful range, medium to full loads, than H110 full loads only.

Unless you're looking for a reduced recoil defensive load, it seems a waste to shoot expensive bullet, like XTP on targets.

I shoot two types of revolver loads, target loads with Bulleye and full house loads with H110/W296.

I have to agree 100% with Robert; save the expensive bullets for their intended purposes. I cast a 158gr SWC for my 357Mag GP100 and also my Henry lever gun and load them down to about 1200fps for plinking and up to about 1600fps for more serious plinking.
    Although I've taken one deer with the LSWC, I've taken 4 with the 158gr XTP HP with great success. I load the XTP to a little over 1800fps. FWIW, I can and do load the LSWC up to the same level as the XTP and they hit same POI at 75YDS.

Loaded to same POI with same charge of powder makes for cheap practice when using the LSWC.

Leave a comment:

• RobertMT
    replied
    Nobody else has brought it up, so here goes.

In 357, Bullseye and other fast powders are better suited for target loads, than full house hunting or defensive loads. For full house loads slower powder, gives you, in most cases, higher speed, at a more gradual pressure curve. Powders like 2400 and H110 will give you several hundred FPS, at a safe pressure, over fast powder, if that's what you're looking for. 2400 has a wider useful range, medium to full loads, than H110 full loads only.

Unless you're looking for a reduced recoil defensive load, it seems a waste to shoot expensive bullet, like XTP on targets.

I shoot two types of revolver loads, target loads with Bulleye and full house loads with H110/W296.

Leave a comment:

• Damannoyed
    replied
    Be extremely careful using Bullseye in long revolver cases like 38/357. It is EXTREMELY EASY to accidentally double or even triple charge the case and miss spotting the mistake.
    Come up with as foolproof and thorough a set of procedures to prevent this as you can, and follow them absolutely.

Leave a comment:

• HighBC
    replied
    If you're using a jacketed bullet, which the XTP is, then use the book load tables for the cartridge you are loading. In other words, don't second guess the published data, so if the published data for .357 mag. states 7.3 - 8.4 gr. then use that data, but don't compare it with 38 spcl. data, they are two very different cartridges. 38 spcl. operates at around half the PSI of .357 mag.,or around 17,000 psi, where as .357 mag. operates at a SAAMI max of like 35,000 psi. So if you reduce charges intended for .357 mag. down to 38 special published data you could end up with squibs, and depending on the powder you may experience a detonation, which is not a good thing. Published data is good, it's safe and should be used as published.

HBC

Leave a comment:

• Nomes
    replied
    Just looking at specks for .357 125 gr JSP and GDHP 7.3 to 8.4 bullseye.
    That looks like a lot of powder. I think that .38 was about 4.9 to start.

Leave a comment:

• HighBC
    replied
    124 gr. XTP (9mm) - Sierra data is 3.5 gr. - 4.4 gr. for a 125 gr. Bullseye (Jacketed)

38 spcl - 125 gr. XTP - Hornady data - 4.5 gr. - 5.3 gr. Bullseye

Be careful confusing bullet weights like that, it can get you into some serious trouble.

HBC

Leave a comment:

• RobertMT
    replied
    The same cast bullet load, will be slower and have higher pressure, if you use jacketed bullet. How much higher pressure and slower speed, is dependent on powder chosen. I just checked and link, I provided above, gives you mfg's starting point for jacketed bullet and bullseye, that would be safer starting point, than cast data.

Leave a comment:

• Nomes
    replied
    Or can I use the same load data for Cast bullets?

Leave a comment:

• Nomes
    replied
    .357 mag blackhawk
    9mm Ruger LC9
    (Hornady doesn't make a 124 gr. XTP for 38/357.) I'm sorry that is a 38 125gr.

Leave a comment:

• RobertMT
    replied
    Should be able to find what you want here, has much old alliant data. As others have said, without more info from you, it's only guess what you're loading for. http://handloads.com/loaddata/defaul...Source=Alliant

Leave a comment:

Working...
X