Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first venture into handgun loads. Your own 9MM 115 gr recipe's please...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first venture into handgun loads. Your own 9MM 115 gr recipe's please...

I have all components for regular loading and an ancient Dillon once I learn how to set it up. 115 gr JHP and FMJ's, plenty of clean brass, some Winchester primers, and a Sig P320. Any suggestions recommendations smarty pants remarks, just chime in.

5 gr of CFE Pistol is where I am starting with 115 FMJ

Nothing wrong with cfe pistol, my 115 gr JHP load runs N340 for maximum velocity, but that's me.

Comment

Take your pick of powders, you can use almost anything including and between, Bullseye and AA-7 . I've used Unique, WST, WSF, CFE Pistol, AA-5, and a lot more. They all work.
      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

4.2 grains of titegroup has worked well for me for a soft load. 4.6 grains for a good stout load around 1200 fps. Has worked well too.

Comment

What Charley said. I like AA 5 and 7 myself. 7.0 grains of AA 7 gives you a nice soft shooting load with 115 fmj. Fills enough of the case that you cannot double charge one without spilling powder everywhere.
          If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
            Take your pick of powders, you can use almost anything including and between, Bullseye and AA-7 . I've used Unique, WST, WSF, CFE Pistol, AA-5, and a lot more. They all work.
            Whats your load with WST for the 9 115 ? When you couldn't find anything else awhile back my LGS had quite a bit and I got a bunch. Best thing I have come across for 45ACP 200 HP's.
            Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

Lately I've been using CFE for Pistols in my 9mm loads, mostly 125gr JHPs. Works pretty good and I may try some with some Hornady 115 gr. JHPs.

But a little advise from an old reloader with all his fingers; I use no load data from any forum expert, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, good intentioned friend or gun shop guru. All my loads come out of a published reloading manual. Lots of 9mm and CFE Pistol data in the new, inexpensive, Hogdon manual...
              I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

CFE is just fine, but if you should have any problems finding it on the shelves there's a bunch of other similar burn rate powders that will work just as well.

For me, I've been stuck on 6.0 gr. of Longshot with 115's for quite some time, I just love the velocities I get at the pressures that LS operates at. Prior to my LS thing I used just about anything that was published, Blue Dot being one of my favorites at one time.

Have fun!

HBC

Comment

Yep. There are every bit as many "favorite/best/preferred" powder loads as there are people loading for it.

The only "thing", faster powders, which are not best for maximum velocity, are best for lower velocity loads instead of reducing loads of slow powders to drop velocity.

Run the slow powders at low pressures and they get dirty, fast.

Powders burn best (cleanest) when run at full pressure.

Less powder used of course also equates to less residue, obviously, when you think about it.

Comment

But a little advise from an old reloader with all his fingers; I use no load data from any forum expert, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, good intentioned friend or gun shop guru. All my loads come out of a published reloading manual. Lots of 9mm and CFE Pistol data in the new, inexpensive, Hogdon manual...
                    Agree 100%. Follow Ronald Reagan's advice..."trust, but verify". I know I have some data for WST somewhere, can't lay my hands on it immediately.
                    Last edited by Charley; 05-15-2018, 10:16.
                    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Agree 100%. Follow Ronald Reagan's advice..."trust, but verify". I know I have some data for WST somewhere, can't lay my hands on it immediately.
                      I know that the 4th edition of the Hornady Manual has 9mm data using WST

Originally posted by 12semi View Post
                      I have all components for regular loading and an ancient Dillon once I learn how to set it up. 115 gr JHP and FMJ's, plenty of clean brass, some Winchester primers, and a Sig P320. Any suggestions recommendations smarty pants remarks, just chime in.

5 gr of CFE Pistol is where I am starting with 115 FMJ
                      Check with your local handloader supplier, ask for a copy of the free Hodgdon Basic handloaders guide.

Or check with Hodgdon on-line http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
                      Last edited by thomas15; 05-15-2018, 11:09.
                      Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ. Acts 2:36

Certified NRA Pistol and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Comment

I have some load data in the other room for WST in 45acp, but I've not used it for 9mm yet. It's a powderpuff load, cycles my gun but is very pleasant recoil.

I've not used CFE Pistol yet. By far, I've used HS-6 the most for 9mm and continue to use that as my go-to load. I'm currently working on filling up an empty 50 cal ammo can with 9mm ammo, I'm running an Xtreme 124 grain plated RN on top of 6.5 grains of HS-6. The load cycles very well in my Sig P226, and my buddy's Springfield XD Mod2 and his S&W Shield as well.

I went with 124 grain because if you read the small print in 9mm gun manuals, it will sometimes tell you that their testing was done with 124 grain ammo. I figure thats a nice place to start if you're trying to make a load that will work with anything.
                        "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

I also use HS-6 for 9mm loads. I've tried several other powders, but keep coming back to this because it meters very consistently. 6.0gr for 115gr plinkers and 6.5gr for 124gr SD
                          NRA Life Member

Comment

I've been stuck on Longshot for a long while, but have used lots of other powders with great results also. In particular, Longshot offers a full grain table with the 115's, so plenty of room to work, I like that.

HBC

Comment

Lots of fine powders out there to try as you're seeing in this thread. CFE is a great powder and one of my favorites. I load at 5.4 gr under a 115 gr bullet for my S&W Shield Performance Center.

I also take into consideration loading for lower recoil (softer shooting round) and lower muzzle flash. When I go to the range I tend to shoot a lot so I don't want my thumb joint and wrist to take a beating. Also helps getting back on target for a follow-up shot. Likewise on the muzzle flash. If you ever have the opportunity to fire off a few rounds safely at night it's worth the experience. That first shot can blind you and affect getting off a second shot quickly. CFE had the least amount of muzzle flash vs Bullseye, Unique, HP-38, HS-6, and Universal. Some powders have a flash suppressant...something to consider.

Finally, there are powders to not use. I've been told Clays and WST are not appropriate for a 9mm. There may very well be some guys that have used it safely. But from what I've read the larger body of hand loaders out there do not recommend them. There are plenty of other choices.

Good luck with your hand loading. It's a great hobby and I'm still learning stuff every day from the guys on this forum.
                              Last edited by Ragnar; 07-13-2018, 13:41.
                              The ladder of success is best climbed by stepping on the rungs of opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                              X