Plunk Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plunk Test

I'm new to reloading pistol ammo and had seen the plunk test mentioned numerous times.
    Is there an advantage to doing this vs.using a case length headspace gauge? I would think the gauge would be a more accurate way of checking. Prior to loading my first round, I purchased a Lyman gauge. Should I still perform a plunk test?

IMHO and experience, those case length gauges aren't worth wasting money on. I've been plunking my cartridges since I start loading decades ago and have yet to have problems.

Honestly, because I've never used one, I'm not even clear on what they gauge.
    Is it the oal from case head to bullet tip?

The distance from the case head to the ogive?

From case head to the mouth?

Or does it gauge the diameter of the resize brass, with or without the bullet seated.

Either way, case length gauges do not represent your firearm chamber, only the chamber can determine the best oal for a pistol IMO.

The way I load for an auto loading pistol is to seat them as long as possible while making sure they fit the magazine and feed reliably from it.

HBC

Comment

The plunk test is a far better case gauge than anyone's case gauges. Why, because the case gauge is a not an exact replica of the barrel in your pistol.
      The case gauge is made to work for all barrels which are not the same. All barrels are different.
      So why waste the money.
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Thanks.
        I thought it might mirror measuring a rifle chamber and loading accordingly, but much easier to accomplish.
        That was a few bucks I could have used toward the new P220

Comment

Live and learn; my orginal mentor always used a case gauge, but just starting out, I used his and never bought any. Fast forward a couple of years: I began reading this forum, and had dozens of mentors literally at my finger tips. Plunk test rules!

Comment

Good judgement comes from experience,
            and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Plunk Test Story.

This fall I headed west for a elk bowhunt. Because I have a couple carry permits with a broad range of reciprocity, I loaded up my M60 .38 S&W. (Special Talo run).

I grabbed a box of loads, . 38 Special Speer 158gr LSWC's, (I thought), and put 'em in my packer. When I got to camp, I pulled out my .38, and dropped a couple snake loads and 3 LSWC's in the cylinder. The cylinder wouldn't close. First time I ever loaded up a revolver that wouldn't chamber one of my handloads. So, a quick trip to town and I came back with a box of Federal LRN's.

When I got back home, I pulled out that box of handloads, and tried them in my other .38's, same story. So I decided to check them with my caliper. Looked fine all round. Then I put on my reading glasses, and lo, .357 on the headstamp.

Another lesson learned.
              Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

The plunk test is the best way. Variations in chambers, throats and rifling in different barrels makes it a must. I've had 45 ACP rounds that were fine in my 1911 come up a tad tight in my lone wolf barrel in the Glock. After adjusting the taper crimp a bit tighter it worked great in both.

Comment

I believe the cartridge gauges are minimum SAAMI dimensions for a particular cartridge. I have a couple (somewhere) and they both caused me a few headaches. When I started reloading 45 ACP ('94) I tried one and had several headaches trying to get a round to fit the gauge (I couldn't use cast lead bullets, I had to really crimp, I even had to trim some of the brass). I took some of the failures and dropped them in the chamber of my barrel (s) and all went "plunk". I put the gauge away and plunk all my semi-auto pistol ammo (not every single cartridge, but about 10%-25%). I also have a gauge in 30-06 for my Garand. I tried way too many remedies to get the rounds to gauge and after a few weeks, new dies, and hours of "adjusting" I gave up and asked for info on a Garand forum. The first reply was "do they chamber?". Yep they chambered and fired fine (I later found a .010" distortion in the case rim from the ejected brass hitting the OP rod of my Garand causing the cases to not gauge)....

One thought came to me after discovering "plunking" I shoot cartridges in my gun, not in a gauge...
                  Last edited by mikld; 3 days ago.
                  I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

If you use the plunk test, be sure to test them in the barrel you will be shooting them in. I've got five different 1911 in 45 ACP. One of my Frankenstein 1911s has a tighter chamber than everything else, what plunks fine in my Kimber, and works in my RIAs, American Tacticals, a Para, and the Kimber won't chamber in it. Chambers can vary.
                    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Working...
                    X