Anyone using a 45 colt load similar to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a 45 colt load similar to this

300 gr Acme coated bullet and 21 gr IMR 4227 in Ruger Blackhawk and Winchester 94. From Hodgdon #26 manual.

RP,

The #26 manual is rather old and the Hodgdon internet based load guide no longer lists any weight bullet and IMR-4227 powder. Additionally, all the recommended powders in 260 to 300 grain weight's are faster burning than 4227. The slowest burning powder now listed is Win-572 which is significantly faster than 4227.

I would be willing to bet that 4227 is not going give you satisfactory results, may not burn completely (especially in the Ruger) and likely as not be very dirty as well.
    However, if you do take a mind to test out the 21g load of 4227 I'd certainly recommend you use a magnum primer to light-off that rather slow powder.and insure a good solid crimp on the bullet.

GC
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

I use 250-260 hard cast in my Ruger NM Blackhawk and use 2400 and Unique. I prefer the 2400.
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

The loads I'm using are in the Ruger only section. Was going to try H-110 next.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Pete View Post
          The loads I'm using are in the Ruger only section. Was going to try H-110 next.
          RP,

Just curious. What is the intended use for this load? Hunting? Target punching/plinking fun? Bad guy ventilating?

GC
          "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

Probably all of the above plus maybe bear protection when we are riding or hiking in Montana or Wyoming. All of my 45 Colts are Ruger NM Blackhawks. Would like to own a Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter but will have to wait for now.

Comment

Read John Linebaugh writings on 45 Colt.
              https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

Comment

I have read John Linebaugh's writings on 45 colt. I have spoken to him on the phone before . He is one of the reasons I own only Ruger Blackhawks in 45 Colt. The load I'm using is listed in his writings as a starting load with 310 gr cast.

Comment

John Linebaugh's writing is one of the main reasons I own a Ruger NM Blackhawk Bisley. I doubt I will hunt anymore so I stay with the 250-260 gr bullets at 800-1000 fps. Fun to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                  X