Unknown handloads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown handloads

At a recent garage sale I ended up with a bunch of 30-06 handloads that were in a package deal, today I pulled all of the bullets not being sure what they were.my rules for me are I shoot no ones loads that I do not know well and I do not load for anyone else. My question is what are your thoughts on this, would you shoot them or pull them?
    I came to the oilfield to get rich now I got to stay to eat.

Pull them!
    Paul B.

Comment

Pull them, dump powder on lawn
      Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
      He who knows not and knows he knows not is wise.

Comment

Originally posted by olyeller View Post
        Pull them, dump powder on lawn
        My pyromaniac came out in me just had to lite it up, my neighbor has not ever seen powder burn before so I had to put on a demonstration for her.

Comment

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, since I don't shoot '06,, it's an easy call.

If it was something I shoot..................... I'd have to decide,,,, just off the cuff there's a 50/50 shot (pun intended) of my shooting it, at least 1 or 2, and over the chrono, to see what it is, along with dissecting a few as well..
          Especially if it was a fairly substantial amount of ammo.

A few scattered remnants, a dozen or so, is a different situation than 100 or 500-rounds is.

Comment

I bought a 9mm about 30 yrs. ago from a trusted friend, he however gave me a bunch on reloads that someone else had loaded for him. I wasn't exactly comfortable shooting them, but he said he shot some and they were fine. So at his reassurance I loaded up a magazine started shooting them. The first thing I noticed was that they unreliably cycled the gun, this raised my awareness, and for good cause. I experienced a squib with that first magazine, took them home and pulled all of them. So never again for me, I may not have the greatest vision, but I would like to keep it in both eye's.

I would definitely pull them, dump or burn the powder, and reuse the bullets and brass. I don't personally reuse primers, you just never know if the reloader used the right primer, or which primer.

HBC

Comment

I do pull ammunition I end up with. Only estate sale reloads I have ever used were from a commercial reloader that I knew and trusted! Otherwise, they get pulled, and the yard gets fertilized. The nitrates are pretty good at that! I do use powders I have picked up, in some cases. If it is from a trusted source, I am familiar with it, and it look/smells right I will use it.
              "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

To me its just not worth taking a risk of harming myself or my guns I can always reuse the bullets and cases.

Comment

I pull them down. I used to decap the live primers too until I had a batch go off in my co-ax press primer catcher. Now I'd pull down, and reload the primed cases with reduced loads for cast bullets. The difference in primers would account for little in these loads. RD
                  Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Pull them. The powder in limited quantities works great for lighting the fireplace.(Smokeless only)
                    Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

I wouldn't have bought them to start with but since they came with a batch of other stuff, you didn't have that option. If I needed the brass, or bullets, I would pull them. otherwise I would toss them.
                      William Waco
                      First reload:
                      .22 Hornet - 1956

Comment

I don't really ever come into such things (almost never making it to estate sales to pick up such trinkets).

I DID, just last weekend (a week ago) get a pretty large box of mixed .40 S&W and .45 Auto brass (they had been tumbled together in a BIG tumbler, what a mess and not very clean, he has 2 more boxes). In separating, I found 3 live JRN .45 rounds. Sitting on a shelf right now waiting on me to do whatever I do with them.
                        Got around 1500 of each by guestimate.

Comment

Pull them. I found a bunch of .30-06 rounds my dad had loaded. They had no load information. Dad being passed away, there was no way to find out what the load was. I trusted him to shoot his bullets when he was alive because he told me what the loads were etc. Now, I just count it as clean .30-06 brass ready for bullets.
                          Load every bullet like your life depended on it because one day it might.

Regards,
                          Shawn

Comment

Pull them. I knew an old timer years ago that always hit up garage sales. He bought some handload 30-06 ammo and blew up his nice Husqvarna on the first trigger pull. Dump the powder in the lawn or garden. Don't even try to identify it visually. Bullets can be reloaded, just weigh them. Last summer I bought five boxes of "commercial" 30-30 reloads (you know, the plain brown box, kind of a "Fredericks of Hollywood" brand) and it had stamped on the box "Made with ALL AMERICAN components, and the brass was all head stamped DWM. Really good quality German brass! I'm going to take the decapping pin out of the sizer die and resize, and reload those. The bullets will work in my old '94 winchester.
                            Last edited by BPCR Bill; 1 week ago.
                            The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Menken

NRA Endowment
                            US Navy Retired

Comment

Got all the primers punched today, just for grins I loaded some of the cases in my 06 to see if they would fire and the first three failed to go bang, so punched the rest and start scratch got over 200 Fed. cases out of the deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X