This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a sizing die

This is how I set up my sizing die for bottleneck cartridges.

1. Take a once fired factory case from your rifle and blacken the neck and shoulders with a Magic Marker or Sharpee pen. Some people like to smoke the neck and shoulder, but I find the Magic Marker/Sharpee pen a bit better.

2. Carefully lubricate the case.

3. Loosen the lock ring on the sizing die and back off about two turns from when the die is set to touch the shell holder.

4. Size the case. Note where the marks are on the case and turn the die down about a half a turn and size again. Turn down some more, and resize again. What you are looking for is the marks on the blackening just touching the shoulder.

5. Clean the lube from the case and try it in the rifle. It may chamber just a bit on the snug side. If so, turn the die down ever so slightly, lube and size again. Wipe off the lube and try in the rifle. If it slides in as easily as a factory round, you should be good to go. If not, usually one more very slight adjustment should fix the problem.

6. Tighten the locking ring for the die and you're done. You have just set your sizing die up for a custom fit to your specific rifle, rather than a generic one size fits all guns.

Paul B.

Last edited by Rockydog; 10-24-2017, 18:43.

I set up my die like Paul except I don't mark the case.
    Works good.

"The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Same here, but, as I load for self-shuckers, I just see if they will close on a chambered round, no neck/shoulder marking.
      If not, I usually use a plastic mallet to tap them open (need to, they are STUCK, doesn't take much of a tap but just pulling is a no-go)
      If so, I try at least 3 or 4 more at that setting. A piece with a bit more springback will get the adjustment made just a tad tighter.

Comment

This has been needing to made into sticky for few years now. Paul does very good job explain process.
        Columbia Falls, MT
        If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
        Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I think this might have been a sticky. The Stickies were another casualty of the new software. I've been trying to rebuild them as I can find them. If anybody had a favorite or authored one that they'd like restored please let me know. Or, even better help find it and copy the link to me in a PM and I'll resticky it. It's taken me an hour or more to find some of these. It's hard to remember them all and then figure out exactly what words to search on or what forum they were in. RD
          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Im gonna try this tomorrow evening on my 270 win brass. Very well wrote.

Comment

I agree with Rocky,,, I THINK it was a sticky, but then,,,,,,,,,,,,,, my memory, at my age, after all the decades of mental pressures dealing with women, The Mind just ain't what it once was (and it may not be as good once as it ever was lol).

It certainly deserves "stickiness".

Comment

Good stuff for new reloaders. The instrcutions provided by the die manufacturer's doesn't really address how much is too much, or how to determine what's enough.

HBC
                Last edited by HighBC; 10-27-2017, 04:01.

Comment

I go one step further. As I have all bolt actions, I take the spring out of the bolt so there is no resistance when closing it. I'll size until it closes without resistance. If It's only for the one gun, I'll check it in the chamber after neck sizing. If there's resistance, I full length size and recheck.

Comment

This is good information as I am just starting to reload, thanks
                    All it takes to allow evil to continue is for one good man to do nothing.

Rangers lead the way!
                    SUA SPONTE

Comment

Originally posted by papajoe222 View Post
                      I go one step further. As I have all bolt actions, I take the spring out of the bolt so there is no resistance when closing it. I'll size until it closes without resistance. If It's only for the one gun, I'll check it in the chamber after neck sizing. If there's resistance, I full length size and recheck.
                      For my bolt guns I try the fired cases in its rifle. Neck those that chamber easy and fl size those that dont.

I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Working...
                      X