No announcement yet.

Savage axis 22-250

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to try a new load in a new 22-250 also. I saw H380 before but assumed it was for the anemic .380 Auto pistol, so I always grabbed other powders. A buddy told me that H380 was developed for the 22-250. I guess that 38 grains of it will get you 3,800 FPS. In the rifle they used to develop the powder. So, I am starting around 36 gr and working up. Good luck to you! Oh, 52 gr Berger bullet.
    Last edited by Ledslnger; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Ledslnger, From the Hodgdon website: H380

This was an unnamed spherical rifle propellant when Bruce “B.E.” Hodgdon first used it. When a 38.0 grain charge behind a 52 grain bullet gave one hole groups from his 22-caliber wildcat (now called the 22-250), he appropriately named the powder H380. H380 is also a superb performer in the 220 Swift, 243, 257 Roberts and other fine varmint cartridges.

Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I have been working so many hours trying to get corn planted the last few days have not had time to do much of anything, and hay is right around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post

This was an unnamed spherical rifle propellant when Bruce “B.E.” Hodgdon first used it. When a 38.0 grain charge behind a 52 grain bullet gave one hole groups from his 22-caliber wildcat (now called the 22-250), he appropriately named the powder H380. H380 is also a superb performer in the 220 Swift, 243, 257 Roberts and other fine varmint cartridges.

Basically exactly what my friend told me. I have a pound to mess around with and a bunch of different bullets.

Comment

I have a friend that is going to give me some 50, 52, and 55 grain .224 Sierra bullets. I am going to try them once I get everything set up. Going to try the IMR 4895, and he is going to give me some H380. Will try them all and see what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post

Interesting fact I wasn't aware of RD. Cool, thanks for the history lesson. Looks like I have another powder I need to try in the 22-250..

HBC

Comment

Ok need some advice, thinking on a load for the 22-250, I am going to be shooting paper and varmints. 300 yards is about the longest shot I will be making. So do I need to try and get all the speed I can get, or can I use a little lower load. Looking to use IMR4895 and H380. I have some Sierra 55 grain game king, 52 grain Sierra hpbt, 50 grain Sierra blitz king, and some 50 grain Hornady V-max. I have been shooting Hornady 50 grain V-MAX factory ammo and it shoots very well.

Comment

Just pick a starting load and go, I wouldn't worry about max speed, often you're going to find best accuracy somewhere near the middle. Barrel will about last twice as long @3,500fps as 4,000fps and at 300yds, nothing will notice difference.
                  If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
                  Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Working...
                  X