No announcement yet.

Walnut Polishing Media in Flash Holes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blast media walnut and corn cob, are much better quality control than pet litter (blast media is used in pneumatic equipment and pet litter just gets pooped on). Size is controlled and consistency/hardness is also controlled in blast media. I got some corn cob blast media mebbe 25 years ago and it worked so much better than pet litter that the results were apparent immediately; less dust, quicker cleaning, and better polishing (if needed/wanted) than pet litter and I've been using it ever since. Many years ago I worked in a machine shop and one of the operations was deburring parts in a huge wobbler using ceramic media and water on stainless steel machined parts. I tried ceramic media for tumbling brass but it was too aggressive and left a matte finish on the brass. Also used hard resin media (3/8" pyramids) straight but that too was very aggressive and left a dull finish, even after short tumbling times. I now use straight resin media when removing rust from tools and as a mix with corn cob, mebbe 25% resin media to 75% corn cob. I get shiny brass if I want (occasionally) and quick cleaning. The cost of blast media may be a bit more, $27.00 for a 40 lb bag (which will last a loooog time). I use the 14-20 grit but the 20-40 will work too. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ECONOLINE...SABEgJOHPD_BwE
    I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

I don't let it get to me, I just use the Lee case length gauge flash hole pin (for trimming). It takes me about 1/2 second to clear the flash hole, no biggie.

If necessary, I tumble for a few minutes in corn cob prior to resizing, lube / resize, wipe off excess lube, then tumble in walnut until it looks good, then about 30 minutes in corn cob to put a nice shine on it.

HBC

Comment

The way I see it, It gives me the artificial discipline to give the cases a good dose of looking at. Otherwise the high numbers stuff would just get cranked out and done. This way I have to inspect every case and yup, sometimes you do find that crack that would a snuck by a more lax QC.

Comment

I have used only corn cob media to this point but I just bought a big container of Hornady corn cob and I went to the pet store and bought some lizard bedding (it wasn't Zilla, it was some other brand). Much cheaper buying it there than at Cabelas. I'll let you know how it works out.
          "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
            The way I see it, It gives me the artificial discipline to give the cases a good dose of looking at. Otherwise the high numbers stuff would just get cranked out and done. This way I have to inspect every case and yup, sometimes you do find that crack that would a snuck by a more lax QC.
            I couldn't agree more. What's more is that number of times I have spotted issues I probably never would have noticed if not for the little bit of additional time it takes to clear the flash holes.

HBC

Comment

Working...
            X