Hornady Primer Pockets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady Primer Pockets

OK, another Primer Pocket question. I recently bought several boxes of Hornady 73 gn ELD Match rounds (.223 Rem), fired same, and set up to reload the brass. My 1st indication of trouble was that it took more force to unseat the primers and they pressed out kinda "cone" shaped, like they had been stretched before popping loose. I put it down to soft primer cups and carried on but then I couldn't get a primer to seat. Wound up having to run the brass through my Primer Pocket Swagging tool (I normally only use it for military brass) before I could get a primer to seat. I tried Winchester, CCI, and Tulammo primers, none would fit in the pocket before swagging. Has anyone ever run in to that particular problem before? Oh, by the way, there were two different lot numbers for the ammo.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" --Benjamin Franklin

What powder/charge are you loading them with? There's the possibility that brass expansion is happening at the case head from a pressure issue. . Try running a few cases through the die with the deprimer removed. If it requires a lot of effort, that's likely what's happening.

Comment

Papajoe, this is the brass from several boxes of new Hornady factory ammo, not reloaded. Two different ammo lot numbers and both have the same issue. Interestingly enough, I also have some unfired Hornady Match brass that works fine, it is only the factory loaded brass that has the issue.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I would bet money the primers are crimped in from the factory. It seems like I read something about this , maybe some Hornady Match ammo having crimped in primers. but I don't know exactly why, heard match ammo for military and also pressure was backing uncrimped primers out....don't really know why .
        If there is a circle around the primer ....it's crimped.
        Gary
        Last edited by gwpercle; 1 week ago.

Comment

Those are crimped. I have used them in the past

Comment

Originally posted by papajoe222 View Post
            What powder/charge are you loading them with? There's the possibility that brass expansion is happening at the case head from a pressure issue. . Try running a few cases through the die with the deprimer removed. If it requires a lot of effort, that's likely what's happening.
            Scuba has it
            papajoe222, when brass expands from an overcharge the primer pocket expands also and gets loose, not tighter.
            Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
            He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Working...
            X