No announcement yet.

New handgun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick hint; find a load of bullet, primer and powder in your reloading manual before you buy any components. Many fewer headaches searching for a load that way...
    I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

Got my dies today looking at an array of different bullets and powder, looking through my manuals to see if I can find a common load.
      All it takes to allow evil to continue is for one good man to do nothing.

Rangers lead the way!
      SUA SPONTE

Comment

A good start I have always found. Most manuals will give what they found as the most accurate load. Buy a pound of powder of that and then pick a middle of the pack as a load. I've had decent luck with that and on top of it if you don't use all the powder now you will at some point. LOL

Take care Be safe Poacher.
        "Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as a equality, and anarchy as progress". Isocrates

it's very strange, in fact I've never seen it before, to see blinders on the wrong end of the horse. I fear your narrow view of things will serve you poorly. "Ghrit"

Comment

It's been probably 15 years ago that my wife was shopping in a little LGS, she came home with a .380, 9mm, and a .40 cal. Hi Point. Look honey, I got 3 guns for $300! And to my surprise, they were pretty darn good shooting pistols, and I did load for all of them.

HBC

Comment

Ok so looking at Speer gold dot 200gr with bullseye powder. With cci 300 primers, federal cases.

Rangers lead the way!
            SUA SPONTE

Comment

Bullseye perfect for 45 Auto, I believe that's where it originated

Comment

Bullseye works great as noted. My question is about your bullet selection. You purchased an inexpensive "beater tractor gun" but you are looking at the top shelf bullets. 100 Speers are about $30. 500 copper plated Rainier are about $55. Doesn't matter to me, just curious how you arrived at your decision?
                Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

When I'm talking to a new reloader I suggest starting with "tried and true" components/loads. A 230 gr. FMJ over some Bullseye has been reloaded 1.745 bizillion times. Every possible problem has been worked out and info is readily available. Use starting loads and work up if you feel necessary. Later once you have a bit of experience (and know what to look for, problem wise) you can try different bullets/powder combinations... K.I.S.S.
                  I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

I am looking at fmj's. I found the load previously mentioned in my manual as the most accurate, but looking in my Sierra manual found some good data on fmj's with bullseye powder. Found some 230gr rn cast bullets at acme.

Rangers lead the way!
                    SUA SPONTE

Comment

Originally posted by runfiverun View Post
                      you just gotta find the cases after you shoot them...
                      when I was using a semi-auto I considered the brass as lost before I even took it out there.
                      I hate when that happens :-)
                      Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Ok still looking into bullets, yes this is going to be a beater gun, but will be a daily carry gun. I want something that I can use for self defense, just in case. I would rather spend a couple more dollars and have something for that situation. Just there are so many out there, hard to choose what you think might be good for your gun.

Rangers lead the way!
                        SUA SPONTE

Comment

If you are going to use for self-defense then by all means get the better bullets. Gold Dots, Federal HST and those types of bullets.
                          I use Gold Dots.
                          "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Mission creep: the gradual broadening of the original objectives of a mission or organization.

Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Desertmarine, I have been looking at the gold dots as well, believe I will order some.

Rangers lead the way!
                              SUA SPONTE

Comment

I have 2 hi-point 9mm one pistole and one carbine and like them, I am thinking of reloading for them also. Soon I am going to have an army of reloading equipment, I call it a hobby, my wife calls it an obsession.

Rangers lead the way!
                                SUA SPONTE

Comment

Working...
                                X