First Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Load

Not sure if you gentlemen can make out the marking on this 30-06 case (I have two like this one and four with marks near the shoulder shaped somewhat like the letter M)but I am looking for some insight here. First off here is my “small” problem, not sure which load did this. I loaded three sets of six cartridges the loads are as follows: IMR 4831 @ 54.0 gr with a 168 gr bullet, H4831 @ 58.0 gr with a 275 gr bullet and lastly H4831 @ 51.0 gr with a 220 gr bullet. All case are Winchester with a Winchester wlr primer, trim length 2.48 and COL @ 3.31. This was the first loads with these cartridges.
    Regards,
    Win70

Get a small flashlight and in a dark room shine the light inside the case mouth and see if it is visible on the outside of the case. The pics aren't conclusive but it looks like it could be over pressure sign. If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting your load data?

Comment

Load data was from Nosler manual 2019 edition and I forgot to mention all three bullets are Nosler Custom Competition
      Regards,
      Win70

Comment

I also forgot to mention all loads are starting loads.

Comment

I think you are referring to the scratch? Which is not a big deal.

If it appeared after you fired the round, and wasn't stepped on or exposed to some other rough handling, it might be a chamber issue. If it appeared after sizing, it could be something in your die.

If you used a starting load from a manual, the odds it's a load problem is pretty remote. In the last 50+ years, I've had a couple split necks at the low end, (with tired brass or converted brass), but that doesn't look like a split.
          Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

All I see is a faint line below the shoulder. That looks like an impression from a hair or thread left in the chamber which left its image on the case. Probably left there after cleaning or drug in during loading.
            Any cats in the house?
            It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
            He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Two cat, two birds and a dog. Would not of thought something in the die when resizing. I did inspect this brass AFTER resizing. Think i need to change my process. Thank you gentlemen for you insight/info.
              Regards,
              Win70

Comment

Originally posted by Win70 View Post
                Two cat, two birds and a dog. Would not of thought something in the die when resizing. I did inspect this brass AFTER resizing. Think i need to change my process. Thank you gentlemen for you insight/info.
                Regards,
                Win70
                NOT an impression from sizing die. An impression from being fired in the chamber with a foreign object (hair) in it. Nowhere near enough pressure exerted on the brass during resizing to cause what I'm talking about. I had a 30-30 case for several years that had a perfect impression of a piece of mountain juniper leaf in the neck.
                It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Comment

That would have been weird, and kind of cool Ol.

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
                    That would have been weird, and kind of cool Ol.
                    It was. Hate that I lost it.

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't tell if it was just a scratch or not. Just willing to error on the side of caution. I've had a couple 30-06 cases that had what looked like a scratch, but on close inspection turned out to be a slight split in the neck/shoulder area.
                      Last edited by Coldbore; 08-08-2019, 20:32.

Comment

Yup definitely a sign of a foreign object inside the case. It will often happen with really dirty range brass.
                        Jeremy

"Necessity is the mother of all inventions."

Comment

Originally posted by Coldbore View Post
                          Yeah, I couldn't tell if it was just a scratch or not. Just willing to error on the side of caution. I've had a couple 30-06 cases that had what looked like a scratch, but on close inspection turned out to be a slight split in the neck/shoulder area.
                          Yes, neck/shoulder are is reasonably common for splits, the body not nearly as much.

Comment

Ok guess I miss understood, thanks.
                            Regards,
                            Win70

Comment

Probably just a drag mark that presented during feeding or extraction, common occurrence.

HBC

Comment

Working...
                              X