S&B brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&B brass

I have recently started reloading 38 Special and i found 3 cases that were split up the side. All of them S&B. Is it ok to load the brass of that brand that isn't cracked our should i throw them in the scrap pile. All of it is once fired.

No reason not to reload brass that is not split. Once it gets to that point, by all means, scrap it. And, some of it may not be "once fired". I purchased some allegedly "once fired" brass a few years ago, something I rarely do, and it was Lake City 5.56. Most of it had been reloaded at least once, as the primer pocket crimp was gone. A few of the primer pockets wouldn't hold a primer. I normally just purchase new brass for all my reloading. As long as you're not loading hot or over crimping, straight wall revolver brass should last a very long time.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Menken

NRA Endowment
    US Navy Retired

Comment

I've never heard anything like that about S&B, the only thing I have heard is that some people say that the primer pockets are a hair smaller than other brass, but I've never noticed it. I've reloaded 9mm S&B over and over with no problems at all. Some 45acp too. I agree that I would just load it up and if it splits, you can toss it then.

You're not loading a particularly stout +P load in them are you? Not that it should matter, but I was just curious.
      "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

Unless it's brass that was purchased new by you and loaded and fired once, it's probably not once fired. It may even have been loaded as 357. I've had no problems with S&B 9mm or 380 brass. Like the others have said load it until it splits or it won't hold a primer then toss it.

Now on the other hand, if you know absolutely certain it's once fired by you, then you might want to recheck your load data just to be safe.
        If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

What they said.

I've never had any issues with $&B brass (most of it is autopistol).

I've split plenty of .38 brass, when I was shooting it a lot Somewhere between 8 and a dozen times an they'd split one every so often.
          They weren't especially hot, and they were fired in a magnum.

Comment

Are you confident the brass is "once fired"? When buying "once fired" brass the only thing you can count on is they have been fired, most just once but others?? The only problem I've had with S&B brass is the primer pocket has very little or no chamfer and seating primers may become a problem, so I just chamfer the pocket just like I do military crimped brass. I started reloading 38 Specials in '69 and 90% of those cases that died, prolly every case manufacturer available in the US, were from split mouths, and just a few with split sides/bodies and I cannot identify a specific manufacturer's case that was any worse than the others...
            I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

What little S&B brass I have has been range pick up and not a problem so far. This is in .38 Spl. BTW. However, quite a few years back I bought a box of Federal factory ammo in .38 Spl. and almost half the box had cases the "burned out" along the full length of the brass from the case head to near the mouth of the case. A few even split past the mouth of the brass. The whole batch was thrown away.
              Paul B.

Comment

Okay sounds like I’ll just load them up with the rest of it. And they were new loaded rounds in the box to begin with that my dad had. I also have a second question. Is it okay to load mixed head stamps the same. I’ve got some s&b, Remington and Winchester. Or should I separate them.

Comment

Almost always yes.

There is 1 brand out there that has much much smaller internal volume below the bullet because it is just made much different. Instantly visibly different.

Comment

When I started reloading I sorted cases by headstamp. I stopped sorting 38 Special brass long ago like in 1970. I do separate my nickel plated cases from my nekkid brass cases, but no longer bother with sorting by manufacturer. But I'm just a plain old recreational shooter, no competition, and most of my 38 shooting is in my 2" and 3"revolvers, not "target quality" shooting (although I do ave a HD load for one of my "house guns"; a 150 gr. cast DEWC over a max. load of W231 in WW brass).
                    I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

For target loads, I never sort the cases. I'll grab 100 or 200 of whatever my hand reaches in and grabs, and I've never had a problem doing that. Now, for loading up self defense ammo, I'll sort through my brass for 100 Federal or Remington or Winchester brass, all the same headstamp, and use those for my +P loads for my 158 gr. XTP boolits. Or, if I'm feeling frisky, I'll buy 100 brand new Starline cases and indulge myself in really shiny brass for my carry loads.
                      "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
                          Almost always yes.

There is 1 brand out there that has much much smaller internal volume below the bullet because it is just made much different. Instantly visibly different.
                          Here is a picture of the Ammoload brass that DA mentioned in his post. Avoid it like the plague unless you have a few hundred rounds that you want to build a specific load for. Loaded this brass indiscriminately with other 9mm cases could result in overpressure loads that could destroy your gun or lead to personal injury.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ammoload3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	843500
                          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

This is why I only use American made brass. The only exception is NORMA.
                            The only "Once-Fired" brass I will load is either U.S. G.I. with the crimp still intact or given me in the box it came in by friends.

And I keep each box or lot of brass intact unto itself. Reloading them in turn.
                            A Load Log and Numbered Boxes keep the brass integrity intact. When the 3rd case in a box of 50 or 100 "dies" it's time to toss the lot into the scrap bucket.

Comment

i had some SB brass retrieved at the range , factory cartridges, i try to reload it, no way to prime , i try with Rws, Winchester, Cci, Remington ,no way the brass accept the primers…..

Comment

Working...
                              X