Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

Berdan Primed Brass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berdan Primed Brass

Is there any benefit to berdan priming due to the double flash hole ? Never had any thought to loading the berdan cases it was just a question that came up at a BS session at the range this am.
    Never drink down stream from the herd.

Some think there is (Col. Berdan in particular). Here is a good article on them:
    http://www.allaboutguns.net/Berdan-Primers.html

In short, it’s cheaper to manufacture a Berdan primer.

I know a guy who reloads them. He fills the cases with water, puts them in an open top die fixed to ashell holder, and he bangs a dowel down the neck to deprime with water pressure. I’m not sure if his method is better than Elmer Kieth’s, but he claims it works perfectly.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Comment

Its odd that it is and American design yet widely used everywhere but here.

Comment

Life is too short....
        William Waco
        First reload:
        .22 Hornet - 1956

Comment

Originally posted by Jaeger View Post
          Some think there is (Col. Berdan in particular). Here is a good article on them:
          http://www.allaboutguns.net/Berdan-Primers.html

In short, it’s cheaper to manufacture a Berdan primer.

I know a guy who reloads them. He fills the cases with water, puts them in an open top die fixed to ashell holder, and he bangs a dowel down the neck to deprime with water pressure. I’m not sure if his method is better than Elmer Kieth’s, but he claims it works perfectly.
          Appreciate the link. Interesting reading.
          Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
            Its odd that it is and American design yet widely used everywhere but here.
            Yep,,, while out preferred Boxer design, was invented by a Britt.

Seriously, it's not nearly as "friendly" to handloading operations as the Boxer design is, and I'd about wager that at least 85% of handloading ammunition,,,,,,,,,,,,, is done here in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwaco View Post
              Life is too short....
              Couldn't agree more!

Comment

Working...
              X