• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And no closer to an answer just some say speed and some say weight. LOL
    Thanks for all the reply's.
    Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

Some say Ford, some say Chevy. Both will get you there. (Most of the time.)
      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I go with Chevy.
        Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

Gimme a deuce and a half. I'm in no hurry.
          -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
          -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Well, right now my driveway and garage has cars/trucks from 4 different manufactures, two of which are Chevy and Ford. If one fails, another will pull it home just fine.
            Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
            -Winston Churchill

Comment

Plainsman got me thinking. If you get a 357 with powder of today and a premium bullet like an HST in 125 gr and compare with a 9mm with powder of today and HST bullet in 100-124 gr bullet how they would compare.
              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

I always carried for the occasion or environment and never thought a lot about MAX effective range or Knock down

Inner city bad areas...1911 45...and always works Ball ammo
                Joy ride on Harley ....Pocket Walther PPK .32....only SD weapon I ever needed to point at some one
                BUG micro Ruger .380....Ha ....I have to pick lint out of this bugger every week... but the dang thing functions no matter how I abuse it
                Daily carry for conceal and comfort and I shoot very well...CZ 75 b 9mm again ammo that function 100% of the time....

none of my SD weapons carry any ammo that is touted to be best ----killer...

ONLY ammo fed is what I tried and 100% functions 100% of the time....my job is placement in duress conditions. light n fast ---heavy and slow...no matter tor me.... you place a bullet into the right area it will work for you.....sub sonic 22 is pretty deadly from what I know and see

Comment

DM— In this month's USCCA (US Concealed Carry Association) magazine there was an article comparing performance of different versions of the Ruger LCR. Using Sig V-Crown 124-gr ammo, the 9mm turned in 1102fps/334fpe. The 357 using 125-gr Sig ammo got 1163fps/375fpe. Pretty amazing results.
                  Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

For the 357 Rem Mag not the 357 Sig, Sig says their ammo at 1450 fps. For the 38 Super+P same weight they say 1230.
                    What I understand about the 125 gr JHP is that at +1200 fps, there is something that happens that makes it so effective. Why better than 158 gr.
                    What Fredvon4 says also makes sense.
                    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

There are some interesting replies to that original question.
                      Is there a way to figure what would hit harder and or do the most damage?

Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

Originally posted by Nomes View Post
                        There are some interesting replies to that original question.
                        Is there a way to figure what would hit harder and or do the most damage?
                        Sure, We could use the John (Pondoro) Taylor Knock Out Formula http://www.reloadammo.com/tkofactor2.htm and then compare it to muzzle energy and downrange energy to foster some real butt kicking arguments. John Deere- Case IH time all over again.
                        Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Weight of Bullet (grains) 158 Bullet Velocity (feet/sec) 1200
                          Bullet diameter (inches) .357 Taylor KO Factor 9.7
                          That's the first I have heard of that, very interesting.
                          Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

Looks like you need a REALLY big bullet to move that scale to a high number. Have you considered making/buying ballistics gel and doing some testing?

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                            -Winston Churchill

Comment

Hell I don't even know what ballistics gel is and I don't have the equipment to do any testing. If it isn't in my book I'm lost.LOL
                              Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

You can find recipes for making it online. Testing is all about shooting - you shoot it and look at what your bullet did

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X