Where have all the primers gone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have all the primers gone?

I am mystified! Cabella's (now a subsidiary of Bass Pro) is totally out of stock for all major brands of reloading primers in all of its retail stores nationwide. AND . . . Regardless of how often you ask or whom you ask, they refuse to provide any information about this -- not even a hint! Does anyonr have a clue?

I don't have a clue as to why the shortage is right now , but after the last 8 years of primer , powder and bullet shortages , blamed on panic buying by Obama's election, I now have become one of the hoarders , which I despise doing but anytime I see primers and powders on a dealers shelf I buy as much as I can.
    Last shortage I was caught short , didn't understand politics and reloading supplies....no more, never again , keep your eyes out, visit all the gun stores that sell reloading and buy it and hoard it.
    Gary

Comment

I suspect Cabela's is sending them to Bass Pro.. I stopped in the local Bass Pro store today. Had plenty of primers on the shelf. Priced at a really cheap $4.79/100. Every place else in town is about $32/1000, or maybe $3.50/100. I've got plenty, was just checking prices.
      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Grafs has a good selection priced very competitively and CHEAP haz-mat.

Midsouth has bigger selection, slightly better price, higher hazmat.

As per usual, pick your poison.

Comment

cabelas is the last place I'd look for reloading supplies.

Comment

My Cabelas is full of primers. I've still got a few thousand of each, yes I hoarded just a little bit from the last run on reloading supplies. I usually wait until S&B primers go to $16-$19 per box of 1,000 and buy as many as I can. I use my Remington and CCI primers for self defense reloading.
            "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

Sporteman's warehouse here has everything on the shelf and in good quantities. I'm seeing CCI-200's (LR) going for $32.99 per 1000, CCI-250's are $34.99 per k, 500's are $29.99 per k, 550's are $34.99.

Powders are practically falling off the shelves, bullets also are very available.

Sounds like different parts of the county are experiencing large swings in retail pricing. Makes one curious as to what's going on that's impacting supply and demand, which of course drives the price up.

HBC

Comment

I would say it has more to do with the BPS takeover and Cabela's future than shortages in the supply chain.
                If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

I think a lot depends on where you live. Primers and powder are always hit or miss in local outlets and it's an hour round trip to find out and calling ahead of time is a goat rope.

Comment

I have been doing some research and there are weird overages and shortages of various items. For example one dealer is having a sale on 210M primers while others have no stock at all.

One very good spot is out of IMR4350. I know a place that has 205M and 215's. Nearly all others have zero.

Could be due to purchasing people who are making decisions based on criteria other than demand.

Comment

Could be due to purchasing people who are making decisions based on criteria other than demand.
                      I agree, see it in so many other retail operations. Way too many stocking/ordering decisions seem to be based on algorithms rather than human analysis done by actual humans with experience and judgement. I understand that inventory that just sits costs money, but NOT having inventory costs more in the long run.
                      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

To some extent it depends upon the inventory items. Some items are much higher profit margin items than others. Being out of stock on a low margin item isn't as detrimental to cash flow as being out of stock or overstocked on higher margin items. A slow turn low margin inventory item is a killer. You're better off being out of stock and missing a sale.
                        If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

There's a shortage of primers? Does that qualify me as a hoarder or simply well stocked?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark Ed View Post
                            To some extent it depends upon the inventory items. Some items are much higher profit margin items than others. Being out of stock on a low margin item isn't as detrimental to cash flow as being out of stock or overstocked on higher margin items. A slow turn low margin inventory item is a killer. You're better off being out of stock and missing a sale.
                            True, to an extent. However, being OOS on the lower margin items tends to piss off the potential buyers of your high margin inventory as well, and they tend to go buy it somewhere else. Zero sales mean zero profit, no matter what the turnover rate and margin is.

Comment

What I can't understand is why Cabela's is being so secretive about it! And as far as hoarders are concerned, I wish I had the cash flow to be one myself. I just know that thee are guys out there who have garages filled with UNIQUE. Even though Obama-bin-Laden has been gone for nearly two years!

Comment

Working...
                              X