No announcement yet.

Primers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used CCI nearly exclusively for rifle and handgun, with Winchester on occasion when CCI's weren't available. But best accuracy of the two has always been with CCI.

And for shot shells I've always used W209's.

As far as primer type, when I'm loading with large charges of slow burning powders or if the publisher indicates such, I either go with a magnum or bench rest primer, as I find BR primers to produce very similar ignition characteristics to a magnum.

HBC

Comment

I use Winchester. When I started out the guy that helped me used them, so, I got used to using them and continue on. I do have a rifle that uses 210M primers but overall Winchester is my main component.

Take care Be safe Poacher.
      "Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as a equality, and anarchy as progress". Isocrates

it's very strange, in fact I've never seen it before, to see blinders on the wrong end of the horse. I fear your narrow view of things will serve you poorly. "Ghrit"

Comment

Originally posted by Poacher View Post
        I use Winchester. When I started out the guy that helped me used them, so, I got used to using them and continue on. I do have a rifle that uses 210M primers but overall Winchester is my main component.

Take care Be safe Poacher.
        My experience is nearly identical to Poacher's. I have one rifle that I feed with Federal Magnums. Other than that thousands of .223, 8mm, 30-30, 30-40, 7.62x54, .308, .270, .38, .357, 7-30 Waters, .45 Colt, 45-70, 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge, and inline ML all fed with Winchesters.

Kind of scary realizing that I think like Poacher. RD
        Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I keep an inventory of Winchester and CCI primers, and I've used Remington and Federal when supplies were "non-ideal". My only issue with federal primers is the size of the box. I keep a combination of SM/LG rifle and pistol primers, 5K of each, and refill when I pull a 1K box out of my storage supply and put it in my working drawer. 20,000 primers, and Federal primer boxes take up a lot of space. I used to keep 1000 of each, and go for a box/1000 when I used the last hundred, but Bill and Barack taught me that wasn't smart. I'm thinking this year I'll boost my SM rifle inventory a bit, as my AR's seem to be eating those as I sleep at night.
          Shotshell primers, I find I need some of everything to be able to use a range of load types in 12/20ga, CCI, Winchester, Remington and Federal 209's. I rarely to never mess with a shotshell recipe and primer/powder/wad/hull combinations.
          Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post

My experience is nearly identical to Poacher's. I have one rifle that I feed with Federal Magnums. Other than that thousands of .223, 8mm, 30-30, 30-40, 7.62x54, .308, .270, .38, .357, 7-30 Waters, .45 Colt, 45-70, 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge, and inline ML all fed with Winchesters.

Kind of scary realizing that I think like Poacher. RD
            Let's keep this real. Having a similar experience does not equate to thinking alike.
            Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
            -Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm still reeling from the revelation that Poacher was thinking at all.
              If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Since my range is less than a mile out of town , yesterday I did a little experiment. I loaded up some 32 gn Vmaxes in Hornady cases with 28 gns Varget using Remington bench rest primers. Best was right at 1/2" @100 yds. Then loaded the same load with same set of cases, but used Winchester standard SR primers and the groups were about 3/8". I do believe primers play an important role in accuracy, but I do not believe bench rest primers are more accurate than the standard ones. In some loads yes, but not across the board. Those loads with the bench rest primers may have been even smaller than the standard, but not with the 28.0 gns of Varget I had loaded. With that load , my rifle liked the standard primer better. I believe you can achieve equal accuracy with either, but need to tweak the load to work with them. Still, I find myself buying bench rest primers when I find them priced reasonably.

Comment

Working...
                X