Powder prices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder prices

I went to the only significant retailer of reloading supplies in Houston yesterday. He said there's been a hard run by the 6.5 Creedmoor shooters. He had Varget, but it was $36 a pound! Wow! He said powder prices are climbing lately. I just bought 16 lbs of WC 844 (said to be the same as H335) for $13 a pound delivered. I will use it for .308 and .223. I have also bought some Shooters World (Lovex) because I'm cheap and broke. What kind of prices are you guys seeing and what are you buying?

I paid $32 for a lb of Varget last month. In the future, I'm thinking of just going with 8lb jugs for rifle powder. Besides, when you buy it by the lb, you need to rework your loads to compensate for differences from lot to lot.

Comment

Christmas pricing. Everyone running to the stores to get their new hobby off the ground or revive the old one with some new equipment.

Unless you are in a rush buy your powder online. Varget sells for ~$28 by the individual pound, or $25 a pound in an 8 lb jug. It is not uncommon to find either free shipping or free hazmat, which is pretty much the only time I buy powder online. The only time I buy powder off the shelf is when I am desperate or it is a powder that I am ok spending an extra $5 on because it will take me 3 years to go through it.
      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
      -Winston Churchill

Comment

Same thing here. Local prices are ridiculous.

Comment

Locally, Reloader 22 & 19, as well as IMR, Win, and Hodgdon are going for around $25.99 to .$28.99. Shotgun / handgun powders are around $22.99, also locally. I think the most I've ever paid for a pound was $34.99, and that was during the big Obama shortage.

HBC

Comment

I just opened an old can of 2400 that still had the price tag. The cost for that 1 lb. can was $3.37. How times have changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Katydid View Post
              What kind of prices are you guys seeing and what are you buying?
              Buying powder by the lb at the LGS is pretty expensive. You pay for the powder + what you'd pay if you ordered a couple lbs of the stuff on line, and paid the hazmat.

Powder Valley has very good prices, and you can get even better cost efficiency if you buy decent size quantities, 10lbs +.

I still pick up a lb from time to time to try something, but when I want a favorite, BL-C2, or IMR 4350, I get 8lbs. It will always get used up, and goes fast. I buy Alliant 4lb canisters of Red Dot, Unique and Herco, powders that work fine in handgun and shotgun loads, and order a replacement 4lb when I open a new one. Keeps cost down, a bit.

If I had one gun, and didn't shoot it a lot, 1lb cans would make sense, along with buying primers by the hundred, and a box of bullets at a time. That doesn't work for me.
              Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by TMan51 View Post

Buying powder by the lb at the LGS is pretty expensive. You pay for the powder + what you'd pay if you ordered a couple lbs of the stuff on line, and paid the hazmat.

Powder Valley has very good prices, and you can get even better cost efficiency if you buy decent size quantities, 10lbs +.

I still pick up a lb from time to time to try something, but when I want a favorite, BL-C2, or IMR 4350, I get 8lbs. It will always get used up, and goes fast. I buy Alliant 4lb canisters of Red Dot, Unique and Herco, powders that work fine in handgun and shotgun loads, and order a replacement 4lb when I open a new one. Keeps cost down, a bit.

If I had one gun, and didn't shoot it a lot, 1lb cans would make sense, along with buying primers by the hundred, and a box of bullets at a time. That doesn't work for me.
                What he^^ said, times 2. I also "use" relatives to purchase from places like Bruno's when they have a sale, then pick up the powder next time I'm visiting the relative.
                Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

If your into bit of experimentation these three powders are the best bargain going for your pistolero shooting needs! At $15 for a 1.1 pound (7716 grain) jug, its incredibly tough to find a better deal in today's over priced world!

Nobel Sport:
                  Vectan 206-V, great stuff in 9-Luger, 380 and similar sized cartridges. Burn rate in the HP-38, IMR-PB, W-231 neighborhood. This is a flattened ball powder. I find it to meter extremely well from both my Lyman 55 and the RCBS powder measures.
                  Vectan A1, good for 38 spcl, 357, 40 Short & Weak and those sized cartridges. Burns just a taste quicker than Unique.
                  Vectan A0, my favorite for 45 Colt & 9mm 147g in the sub-sonic AR-Carbine! Burns similar to 800X, Long-Shot and Herco. Both A1 & A0 are a square cut flake powder, and again I'm seeing that they meter plus or minus one tenth of a grain in my volumetric measures.

Find all this wonderful noise powder goodness at Graf's... AOBTW, where your Haz-Mat TAX will only be $10!!!

Last edited by Guncrank; 2 weeks ago.
                  Most evil men will not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda or by legislation; however, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
                  - Lt. Colonel John Dean Cooper: (paraphrased)

Comment

The Vectan burn rate chart...
                    Most evil men will not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda or by legislation; however, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

Comment

But it's FRENCH! Does it smell like pastry when you shoot it?
                      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                      -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by golong View Post
                        But it's FRENCH! Does it smell like pastry when you shoot it?
                        Sorry Golong, no scents of fine baked goods or pricey cologne. Just the good'ole honest smell of nitro powders burning.

Forgot to mention, the above three powders are VERY clean burning as well.
                        As much as I've enjoyed using these pistol/shotgun powders the Vectan stick type powders have been, well, nothing quite as special and are priced just about the same as their equivalent Hodgdon, Western and Alliant powders.

GC
                        Last edited by Guncrank; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X