Nickel Brass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickel Brass

I have a lot of Nickel brass for my 325wsm rifles. There is a lot of negativity about nickel. I'm hoping some experienced veteran reloaders use it and see no problems with it. Components for 325 are getting more expensive and becoming more scant. I've read all the negatives about scratching dies,goring a barrel/chamber,hardening when annealing,course inside necks etc. Being overly concerned about unwarranted issues is not common for me. I prefer to be practical minded when I can. So if there are any of you with assurances that aren't too negative I would appreciate hearing your thoughts. I apologize if this is a repeat topic-sifting through and finding previous topics takes a lot of time. But don't sugar coat it either if the negatives are realistic concerns(LOL)
    Vinutz pronounced Vinootz - NRA Life Member

REGISTRATION LEADS TO CONFISCATION !!!

Several years ago I bought nickel brass to help segregate it for a particular rifle. I always try the empties in the rifle first and neck size only when I can.
    I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Foster dies handle these cases with ease. I had used them for a specific load in my .270win. The Redding dies had difficulty in sizing them. I then bought a Foster FL die and it had handled the cases with ease.

Comment

What wheezengeezer said re: neck sizing, BUT (big "but") the WSM family usually doesn't do well with just neck sizing. You may have to bump the shoulder a wee bit each time like I have to with my 270WSM.

The nickel cases will be OK UNTIL the plating starts to come off. When that starts, ditch them. In the meantime, scrounge for the brass 325WSM cases.
        Last edited by olyeller; 04-20-2019, 08:31. Reason: spelling
        It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
        He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

If worse comes worse you might be able to make brass cases from .404 Jeffery cases. The .404 Jeffery is the parent case for the WSM rounds. It would involve cutting the .404 case back to about the base of the shoulder, leaving a nearly straight walled case with a .520 mouth, and reforming to the desired WSM case. This would probably require some sort of forming die set as well as neck turning etc. Not a fun or cheap process at about $2 a case. RD
          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I second Olyeller. That’s been my experience with my 270wsm as well.
            If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

I've loaded for 300 WSM but not the 325. How well does 300 WSM brass work if necked up to 325. That would be the way to go. One pass over expander and done.

Comment

You could also neck 300WSM cases up to 325wsm I would think.
                It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

I have been shooting/reloading nickel plated handgun brass since 1969. I started reloading and I was shooting at a police range and they didn't mind if I picked up a few cases now and then, and 50% were nickel plated. I do have a few nickel plated 308 Win. cases (I can't remember where I got them, prolly range pick ups, but I have reloaded them just like nekkid brass). I have had no shorter case life or any specific problems with nickel plated cases. I have a box of Federal 44 Magnum brass, nickel plated that I have reserved for my "T-Rex Killer" loads (265 gr, LRNFP over max/near max loads of WC 820). T have about a 10 reloadings on them and they show no signs of excess wear or weakening.
                  I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

I have found they weigh different than brass. If all you have is nickel that’s fine. Just don’t expect your best groups if you intermingle them with brass.
                    Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I've used a lot of nickle and with standard every day RCBS dies too, never had any problems of any sort. Brass life has been about the same as standard yellow brass too, and I do anneal it just as I would any brass. As for accuracy, maybe accuracy wasn't quite as good, but I've not noticed a huge difference either. I really like the nickle for my hunting ammo, it doesn't corrode like yellow brass will. I've had some instances when my ammo was unavoidably exposed to the elements while hunting, and it corroded very quickly, so badly that I felt it prudent to pull them when I got home, but never had problems with nickle.

HBC

Comment

Ol Yeller said, "The nickel cases will be OK UNTIL the plating starts to come off. When that starts, ditch them. In the meantime, scrounge for the brass 325WSM cases."

I wonder if that is as much a problem these days as it was years ago? Based on my batch of Winchester plated brass I use in my .280 Remington, it looks more like a nickel wash coat than actual plating. I can't speak for other brands as those are the only ones I have. Usually when I tumble brass, it stays in the running tumbler over night and after a few like sessions that plating/wash, whatever is literally rubbed off leaving brass that looks a bit scuzzy but is otherwise just fine. I think that with current plated brass there isn't a problem and I would not hesitate on using them. Naturally YMMV but I think that it's a problem that's been blown all out of proportion.
                        Paul B.

Comment

Hmmm interesting- thanks. I just might get more use out of my nickel cases than I originally thought if what you say works out
                          Vinutz pronounced Vinootz - NRA Life Member

REGISTRATION LEADS TO CONFISCATION !!!

Comment

Nickel plated cases have two issues:
                            1) Plating can start to flake off after a while and sort of "embed" in the sizing die, which will produce "racing stripes" down the cases being sized. Need to scrub the die clean.
                            2) Plated cases don't have the case life of brass cases and plated cases will crack sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by noylj View Post
                              Nickel plated cases have two issues:
                              1) Plating can start to flake off after a while and sort of "embed" in the sizing die, which will produce "racing stripes" down the cases being sized. Need to scrub the die clean.
                              2) Plated cases don't have the case life of brass cases and plated cases will crack sooner.
                              That has not been the case, no pun intended with my plated .280 Rem. brass by Winchester.
                              Paul B.

Comment

Working...
                              X