No announcement yet.

Nickel Brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting the proper neck sizing is usually a problem. getting the correct size expander ball is the fix. Gave away 100 338 mag nickle for that reason, not worth having two different 338 expanders/decappers..

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
      getting the proper neck sizing is usually a problem. getting the correct size expander ball is the fix. Gave away 100 338 mag nickle for that reason, not worth having two different 338 expanders/decappers..
      OK, you have me at a loss here. I've loaded for several cartridges over the year using mostly brass but in some occasions nickel plated brass, not only for myself but when I had a small custom loading business any years back. Not once have I seen the need to use a different expander when loading that ammo. I don't have a problem with the Winchester nickel brass I'm currently using. Seating bullets was never a problem.
      Paul B.

Comment

Seating the bullets is not the problem--seating the bullet concentric when the case ID is too small can be a problem. Most folks ignore case ID after expansion (in fact, some folks don't even expand the case ID, they just flare the case mouth). If you pull a seated bullet, you'll find that the case ID is now 0.001-0.002" smaller than the bullet's diameter, so you are making the bullet expand the case (and, in a worse case, swaging the bullet down in diameter. This isn't usually much of an issue with jacketed bullets, but lead and thin plated bullets can be ruined.
        You don't get any more case tension on the bullet, since the bullet has expanded the case any way.
        Thus, an expander that leaves the case ID 0.001-0.002" under actual bullet diameter works best.

Comment

" This isn't usually much of an issue with jacketed bullets, but lead and thin plated bullets can be ruined."

I guess you should have mentioned them in the first place. I was speaking in reference to jacketed bullets. I always use an expander die when shooting cast, preferably the Lyman "M" die but I have a few RCBS too. I much prefer the "M" dies.
          Paul B.

Comment

Originally posted by noylj View Post
            Seating the bullets is not the problem--seating the bullet concentric when the case ID is too small can be a problem. Concentricity depends more on your die and setup than the neck ID.

Most folks ignore case ID after expansion (in fact, some folks don't even expand the case ID, they just flare the case mouth). If this were so important and true that most people expand bottleneck brass neck ID as a matter of routine, those dies would be included in all sets, or at least all sets would have an expander button of the "correct" size.

If you pull a seated bullet, you'll find that the case ID is now 0.001-0.002" smaller than the bullet's diameter, so you are making the bullet expand the case Err umm, that's exactly what is required for neck tension (and, in a worse case, swaging the bullet down in diameter. Neck tension developed by a brass case neck alone is insufficient to swage a bullet, but an unchamfered, unflared neck could shave some brass off a soft lead bullet. That's why cast loaders flare the case mouth.

This isn't usually much of an issue with jacketed bullets, but lead and thin plated bullets can be ruined. The OP is all about the 325WSM cartridge, not cast boolit loading of a cartridge

You don't get any more case tension on the bullet, since the bullet has expanded the case any way.
            Thus, an expander that leaves the case ID 0.001-0.002" under actual bullet diameter works best. Which is exactly what a standard expander is supposed to do, leave the neck ID just barely under the elastic limits of the brass case for proper tension. You could experiment with reduced tension with a cast, reduced load for the 325WSM, but that is not what the OP is about. It is about using nickle cases
            I hope we've not confused Vinutz by becoming sidetracked here
            It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
            He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Working...
            X